#2 - Need Help Please - Brisket!!! I am first time user.

sms32084

Hello. I am a first time user with my model #2 and would like to smoke a brisket. I went to recipe section and see a few recipes but also see a lot of different opinions. If you would please send me detailed instructions of how to smoke a 8-10lb brisket. I love bark and am using pecan wood chips. I appreciate the input. Thank you.

See my post titled, "Small brisket success." on how I smoked my first brisket. Turned out wonderfully well. If I had seen your post with your brisket question before I posted I would have just put it as a response to your query. Good luck with your brisket.

Bark on a brisket means a dried out flat to me. Especially on that thin corner. I'm not a big fan of "bark" on brisket, so can't help you there. Brisket will naturally get a dark smoky outside, but I would not call it bark. Bark is my last requirement when it comes to smoking a perfect brisket. Bark on a butt is a different story. But I like my bark layer on butt not as thick as others. It is a flavoring and textural agent for the rest of the meat, but must not overpower. It's about balance. Too much bark is just plain dry.

Here's a link to when I was asking questions for my first brisket...  I also use a #2 and it came out great!  I would personally recommend that you get some pecan chunks instead of chips since this will be a long smoke.  Read through the linked post and follow up with any additional questions...

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5798.msg53822#msg53822

Back