2-2-1 in a #3?

cuddyk

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the #3, but not to smoking. My go-to process is a variation on the 2-2-1 method, putting the ribs in a foil pan, rather than wrapping them. Easier to keep the apple juice in there ;).

Anyway, I tried doing that in my #3 and got weird results. After 2 hours the meat was moist and gray. I did have a pan arranged between the peak of the smoker box and one of the shelf ledges, which prob explains the moisture. I know that electric smokers don't produce bark, but I was surprised to see an almost total lack of brown. I then put the ribs in the foil pans and the #3 never got about 165. Company was coming over in a few hours, so I finished the ribs on the grill.

After reading a bunch of posts on this forum, it seems lots of people use the "no peeking" method, rather than 2-2-1. Is that because 2-2-1 isn't recommended in a #3? Could it be that the foil pans somehow messed with the thermostat?

I'll try the "no-peek" method next weekend, as this cook was anything but Lazy-q!

Thanks!

Pans tend to not work well. I have no idea why exactly ... It makes no thermodynamic sense ... But that is my experience and others too.

Also, I know what you mean by the gray comment. Check the amount of wood.

Lastly, I have used pans only say after I pulled pork, or yard bird, etc and I put that in a hotel pan. In which case I put that in the si sealed up basically as a warming oven with the temp held real low.

Cuddy - No, you will not get good results using a pan.  And yes, you can get excellent bark in these smokers!  But not using a pan, or foiling before the bark forms.  Take a browse around the pork section, and check out pics of ribs and pork butts; you'll see some fantastic bark.

Put your apple juice in a loaf pan, on the floor against the smoke box, and save the foil for lining the smoker floor. ;)

For spares, I do more of a 3 2 2/1 if I have the time. 

This smoker will get you a crisp bark on ribs if you don't need the wet look fall off the bone idea.

I find that a 1st 3 hours gets more of a dark going before foil with honey and brown sugar to make more of a pull apart. 

Experiment, tons of options.

Thanks everyone!

3-sons...when you say "check the wood", do you mean I had too much or too little? FYI, I had six baby backs in the #3 and 3 pieces of wood, all about the same size as the sample hickory blocks that came with the smoker.

Divot...I've been reading around and am impressed with how responsive you are!  As a total noob to electric smokers, I have a quick suggestion. You may want to consider adding a sticky to the beginners / FAQ section (or even better, the instructions that ship with the unit) which highlights the fact that some common combustion smoker techniques don't easily carry over.  For example, the instructions were super clear about using way less wood. Maybe just add a few sentences to steer people away from foil pans or from putting the water tin directly above the heating element. Or maybe something which talks about how 2-2-1 isn't really necessary with these units because of the moisture, etc.

No complaints. I realize there's a learning curve with everything. And with smoking, at least we get to eat our mistakes ;). But going electric (in my opinion) involves a reset in the thought process.

Thanks!

If you used 3 chunks of wood similar in size to what you got with your Smokin-It smoker, that was most likely WAY too much wood for ribs.

Check out the guide in the following thread. Typically for ribs, you are going to want to use 2-3 ounces of wood. If you used 3 pieces, it was most likely 6-7 ounces, which is more than double what most of us use.
Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods

My guess is that the foil pan was the main culprit with the gray color, but using too much wood can affect your results as well.

There is a small learning curve with these smokers as you will find that many of the things you used to have to do are not necessary with the SI or you need to do things a little different. The smokers are oxygen starved and low air flow type smokers, so they retain heat and moisture very well. For most smokes this is awesome. All you have to do is add a little Beer/Apple Juice/water in a disposable mini-loaf tin on the floor of the smoker rested right up against the smoke box and you will always have incredibly most results and still be able to get an awesome bark. I have attached a pic of a butt this weekend that I did with a rub of Taco Seasoning (pulled pork will be used to make tacos for an upcoming camping trip).

Attachments

• 20160612_015610.jpg
    20160612_015610.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 299
i used to do 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 depending on the rib. after finally trying the DM sticky on no peek ribs, i am a believer! Just say no to foiling! use that time to drink beer or whatever you want to do.....

NDKoze said:
Typically for ribs, you are going to want to use 2-3 ounces of wood. If you used 3 pieces, it was most likely 6-7 ounces, which is more than double what most of us use.

Hi Cuddyk,
Im pretty new to the SI too but cant over-emphasize Gregg's comment on wood volume.  You've probably got this by the other comments but if the guide tells you 2-3 ounces, Weigh It and if its 3.1 oz then reduce it.
Welcome to lazy man Q :D

Thanks for the nice comment, and suggestion, Cuddy!  (Btw, we'd love to see a first name in your signature line, ...unless it's Cuddy ;) )  I'll work on that. 

Glad to see you realize it's not about smoking experience, but about "time in type" (as we say in aviation)!  You spend 2,000 hours flying a 4-seat, single-engine, and then upgrade to a 6-seat twin-engine, you may have a little change of technique ahead of you!  Not about your piloting skills, but rather how to apply them to your current type! ;)  We'll help you get there! :D  Sorry for the weird aviation analogy.... ???

Back