1st time ribs

gunner28

About to start first ribs in the #2.  2 racks of St. Louis style spare ribs (~3lbs each).  Last night they were in bottom shelf of fridge raised on racks uncovered with a dry brine (salt) as per Meathead's recommendations. Should be close to 12 hrs of salt (dry brine) before cook.  This morning oiled and rubbed homemade mix using Memphis Dust recipe by Meathead (did add 2 TBSP chilli powder); should be 2+ hours with oil and rub on them.

Plan to cook at 230F for 5 hrs no peeky with 3 oz hickory.    Will use Miss Lilly's Flavor Savor with apple juice.  Haven't used the flavor savour yet; should I hang it from bottom shelf or place close to wood box in bottom of smoker?  Ribs will go in flat, bone side down.  Will cut racks in 1/2, larger ribs under thinner racks; with some un-foiled potatoes on top rack.

Any last 1/2 or 1 hr suggestions before cook starts?  Hoping they turn out good.

A rack will fit whole in the 2 if you lay it diagonally.  When I cook 2 racks I use the top two racks.  Put flavor savor on bottom snugged up to the wood box.  Sounds like a good plan. 

OK so it went pretty well ;D  Son was home from university so he, spouse and I ate them and we all enjoyed for 1st attempt ribs and 2nd smoke with the #2.  As per 1st post they were left without checking for 5hrs using 3.19oz hickory (weighed on new digital scale).  The #2 was set at ~235F.  On checking 2 of the 1/2s (1 from each shelf) we felt they were ready.  They were left in #2 for maybe an additional 15 minutes while we prepared accompanying dishes (including micro waving the potatoes as below).  The conclusion was everyone liked the "bark" and the rub taste.  Son felt there could have been more spice; spouse disagreed.  Spouse made a good point that I agreed with - only thing missing for her was the "sweetness" we were used to with our BBQ ribs.  The difference there was we had decided to try the Memphis Dust recipe "dry" or without adding a sauce.  One of the 1/2s was sauced in that last 15 minute prep time, but I don't think that made much of a difference.

At 1st appearance I was worried they might be too dry, but overall consensus - that was not an issue.  There was a thicker section on one 1/2 that seemed a tad under cooked for my liking.  It was placed in some foil in oven for 20 min. at 300F to finish off.  I had read that some cooks cut meat off some of the thicker sections for a more even cook and smoke that as a side snack for the cook.  Maybe I'll do that in the future?

We were surprised at how undercooked the potatoes (x5) were after the 5 hrs.?  They were not large spuds, and were cooked un-foiled on the top rack.  My 1st attempt with the #2 was a small whole chicken (3lbs) and 3 foil wrapped potatoes.  I'd have to confirm that post, but those 3 potatoes were finished and removed from the #2 before the total cook time for the chicken and definitely under 5 hrs.  Not sure what the difference was this time … the foil, the mass of meat?  At any rate we had to microwave the spuds.

The apple juice in the flavour savor didn't seem to evaporate too much or there was a good amount left after the smoke was finished. The flavour savour was placed on the bottom of the #2 and very close to the wood box, but not touching it (didn't want to block some of the wood box side holes).

I ate leftover ribs tonight and they were excellent.  My wife came home from a meeting where she had already eaten, but on smelling those leftover ribs in the oven she had to have one and didn't regret it  :D

Photo's attached.

Attachments

• IMG-20141116-00268.jpg
    IMG-20141116-00268.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 401
  • IMG-20141116-00278.jpg
    IMG-20141116-00278.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 422
FYI confirmed from my 1st smoke and chicken post … 3 foiled potatoes during that cook were done in 3 hr 45 min.  Other difference between two smokes … chicken and 3 foiled potatoes was at 250F vs ribs and 5 un-foiled potatoes was at 235F.

Well, they sure look good, Gunner!  Here's my 2¢ on a few of your issues:

As for the thicker ends not cooking to your liking:  I have never had an issue with this, as I halve my racks and always put the thick ends on the lower shelf, and the thin ends on the shelf above.

The potato issue:  Can't help with this at all.  When I smoke meat, I smoke meat.  I never have, and probably never will, smoke side items at the same time I'm smoking meat.  I know lots of folks do, and that's great; plenty of room in there.  But, I don't like my meat competing with sides - that's why I have an oven and a grill.

The flavor saver:  Clean it, and put it in the cabinet.  Buy some disposable aluminum mini-loaf pans and use them.  The flavor saver was a good idea, terrible execution.  It's bulky, hard to clean, and will never get hot enough if you hang it from a shelf (as intended).  Maybe if you get it directly over the smoke box, very close, and just right...but for me, it's not worth the effort.  The mini-loaf pans tuck up against the smoke box, and don't block any holes (although that really wouldn't matter, there's plenty of them).  Also, it should never be empty at the end of a smoke.  In your case, it just wasn't close enough to the heat to really get the job done.

The rub:  I tried Memphis Dust on a pork butt recently.  While it was good, and made a fantastic bark, I just didn't have the reaction to it I had hoped.  I think Famous Dave's Rib Rub is much more flavorful, as is Jeff Phillip's rub.  Personal preference, but it lacks in flavor, imo.  You'll find your flavor profile - that's why experimentation is so much fun!!

Thanks DivotMaker for the feedback.  Lots more experimenting to do.  Have a 1/2 a wild turkey breast I want to smoke with cherry wood, some goose breast I want to try doing jerky with (I grabbed a James Jerky Dryer too), and some salmon to smoke.   

I have made Duck and Goose Jerky and it is awesome!

I keep on telling my Goose hunter kid that I want him to save me a whole Canadian Goose if he ever shoots one. They usually just keep the breasts.

As for spuds - I always poke a couple of holes in them then nuke them (microwave them) for about 10 minutes before putting them in my smoker #2. I usually put them on the rack under any meat I am smoking and they come out great. The spuds that I have smoked in the past have been on the small to medium in size. I will be smoking 3 racks of baby backs for Thanksgiving and I will throw in some spuds too. The spuds won't be for dinner, but I will fry them for breakfast the following day! They are very yummy!! As suggested by someone on the forum - I will put the spuds on the top rack above the ribs.

Back