1st Smoke - Pork Butt - Need help

Golfer1659

So I am thinking about using 2 chunks of wood and cooking at 250 degrees until 190 degrees internally.

I got a pork butt from Restaurant depot.  I am going to cook one of the 9lb butt.

I am going to cover in mustard and then lay down Daves Famous Rib rub.

Any thoughts?  I am thinking it will take around 9 hours.

Sounds like a pretty solid plan with the addition of the water pan that Ed recommended.

250 is higher than the 225-235 that most of us here use and typically take 1.5-2.0 hours per pound. But, Boston Butts can handle the heat pretty well and I would think 250 would be fine.

FYI, I usually put my butts in at midnight and run at 225 for them to be done in the early afternoon, then double-foil wrapped and into a cooler with some towels on top to rest until it is time to pull.

Let us know how it goes and remember to take pictures.

+1 on Gregg's temperature, timing and technique. However butts are pretty forgiving but I think you are probably light on time, at least in my #3s.

In my #3 pork butts that are 9 pounds and up take 18 hours @ 235 and that's whether it's one or two butts at a time and I use 6 ounces of hickory for the whole smoke. This time frame has been consistent from day 1. Be sure you cook by temperature not time because it can sometimes backfire.

So best I start it tonight at midnight and do at 225 and if it's really slow I'll bump up to 235degrees in the morning and then just come home a little earlier from work.

Also there really isn't any trimming for a pork butt.  Just little external pieces hanging off

Prep for the first smoke

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 262
If you start at midnight at 225, I doubt that you will have to bump it up unless you want it done by lunch. For an evening meal smoke, mine usually gets done in the mid-afternoon. I have wrapped/rested for up to 5 hours with zero issues.

Pulled it at 195 and double wrapped in foil and placed in cooler with towels.  A couple pieces stuck to the grill and I ate them and OMG......I nearly fainted lol..........fringing amazing taste, tender, you could taste the smoke but wasn't over bearing and a nice flavor.

The last photo after it was out for a while.  Should of taken a open picture sooner but was eating too much.  I let it rest for over an hour.  This thing was AMAZING, like eating stick of butter almost, just melted in your mouth and could pull by hand the whole time.  The bark was OMG, like a flavor magnet and candy.  I had my neighbor come over  and he is a no BS type of guy, said best pulled pork he has ever had.....brisket and another pork butt starting Thursday night and Friday.....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 303
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 284
Back