1st Smoke in the new 4D....Baby Backs!!

id2nv2nj2ca

Well, about 10 minutes or so ago, I put my first meat into the new 4D.  Took them out of the package from Sam's and rinsed them off, dried them, took off the membrane on the bone side and put a little Morton's Tender Quick on for 15 minutes and then rinsed them again.  Covered in yellow mustard and put our dry rub on.

Want to know the coolest thing EVER?  At least for me?  All three racks of ribs fit on one shelf!!!  Doing the happy dance on that one after only being able to get two on my Masterbuilt shelves and they usually hit the sides of the smoker going in. :)

The bad (and good........explanation to follow*) thing, as some of  you have already heard, when I seasoned my smoker on Wednesday evening, the chunks that came with the smoker caught on fire just like the chips did in my Masterbuilt smoker when I first got it.  Today, I tried a 2.5 ounce chunk of apple wood I got from Amazon and it wouldn't even smoke with the temp in the smoker at 235 degrees.  Those and the hickory I got with them will be returned this coming week and hopefully, my Smokinlicious wild cherry, sugar maple and hickory will arrive to replace them.

Now, for the "good"* I mentioned earlier.  Though several people have said they can't get their AMNPS to work in these smokers, mine is working like a champ right now with apple pellets in it.  I have it sitting right above the drip hole and it's going great.  Just hope it keeps going.  Of course, I put a foil tent over it so no drippings from the ribs will hit it and put out the "fire".  Also, put the drip pan on the ground under the smoker so it won't block the air flow.

The smoker is set to 235 degrees as has been recommended and time for 5 hours before I check and see if they are done.  I may decide to look at 4 1/2 hours, though.  We like them basically falling off the bone, though we know that would disqualify us in a competition.

Wish me luck these turn out as good as everyone says.  Will be brining two butts overnite and put them in the smoker early tomorrow morning.

Hi Scott-

I've never heard of TenderQuick on ribs for 15 mins before. Is this something you've tried before? Does it help retain more moisture in the ribs or what?

Also, I'm curious about your AMNPS. I've always understood that is for cold smoking but it sounds like you are running that in your smoker at the same time you are doing ribs? Did you take out your smoke box and put that in at the same time you're running your heating element?

TmanEater said:
Hi Scott-

I've never heard of TenderQuick on ribs for 15 mins before. Is this something you've tried before? Does it help retain more moisture in the ribs or what?

I have never used it before.  Got the idea from DivotMaker here in the forum.  It's just to add a faux smoke ring.  I know it doesn't affect the taste at all, but it's nice to see.  Makes people think you slaved over a wood smoker to get it.  I'll see if I can find and post the link to that thread for you. ;)  Here it is:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5027.msg46356#msg46356

Also, I'm curious about your AMNPS. I've always understood that is for cold smoking but it sounds like you are running that in your smoker at the same time you are doing ribs? Did you take out your smoke box and put that in at the same time you're running your heating element?

I did a mailbox mod with my Masterbuilt and used the AMNPS to both hot and cold smoke.  I had a hell of a time keeping the AMNPS going in the Masterbuilt for some reason, but all the testing I did since Wednesday and now with ribs in, it's working GREAT in the SI.  Might have something to do with the altitude or the temperature, but I don't care as long as it works.  The smoke box is still in, if for nothing more than to keep the food from dripping on the element.  I have about 2 1/2 hours left before I open the door to check on the ribs.  I hope to update with a good photo of some finished ribs at that time.

DivotMaker said:
Ah, the maiden voyage!  Bon Voyage, Scott!

Thank you!! They were, by far the BEST baby backs I've ever done. The smallest of the three racks came out first and were literally falling off the bone. Would not go for a competition, but DANG, they were good!! And incredibly juicy. Juiciest we've ever had or done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 398
Glock_21 said:
Ribs look awesome.  Just wait until the brined butts come out of the SI......

Thank you, they were.  As you can see, the first rack is missing from the photo.  Guess why? ;)

As for the butts?  I'm a bit scared about them.  I put them in the smoker last night around 12:15am.  So technically, I put them in this morning.  Anyway, I put them in and thought I had set the temp for 225 and the temp for the probe at 190.  After about an hour or so, I (was up too late, obviously) noticed that the temp said 140 and wasn't moving.  Couldn't figure it out until I remembered that my last smoke I set the 2nd step to keep the ribs I had wrapped in foil warm at 140 while we were getting ready to go out and share them with some friends.  So, I had to unplug the unit and start the programming over.

Well, got up this morning about 7am and the IT of the butt I have the probe in was at 151, making me think it didn't get to 140 in the first 4 hours like they are supposed to.  And now, after being in for about 11 hours total and now holding at a very steady 225, it's at 163.  Add to that the fact that I made a mental error when asking my wife to make up the brine and I told her to use Tender Quick instead of the Instacure pink stuff.  I still don't know why I did that.  Guess it's cause I used it on the ribs for a faux smoke ring and that was on my brain.

I fear I  may have ruined these, though it still smells incredible.  As I understand it from DivotMaker, these brined butts usually get done faster for some reason and this seems like it will take another 5 or 6 hours to get to 190.  :-[

They'll be fine, Scott.  TenderQuick is a much lower percentage of nitrite, so if your wife only used a teaspoon, it will hardly have any effect at all.  Should be good - I await the results!

DivotMaker said:
They'll be fine, Scott.  TenderQuick is a much lower percentage of nitrite, so if your wife only used a teaspoon, it will hardly have any effect at all.  Should be good - I await the results!

Thanks Tony. We just got home @ 4:15 our time and the SI probe is at 184 and the Maverick I plugged in thinking I may have came too close to a bone on the other is at 187. That's around 16 hours, but I hope they are good. :)

You're getting close, Scott.  I take mine out in the 190 range.  Be sure to wrap/rest for at least 30 min to an hour. 

DivotMaker said:
You're getting close, Scott.  I take mine out in the 190 range.  Be sure to wrap/rest for at least 30 min to an hour.
Thanks again. Just took out the one the Maverick probe was in, double wrapped in heavy duty foil and a towel. AFTER trying a little piece that came off when taking it out of the smoker. It was a bit dry because it was from the bottom and the outside, but WOW....the flavor was amazing. Maybe a little too salty, but I hope that's just because it was from the outside and the rest will blend when pulled to be perfect. :)

BedouinBob said:
I'll bet it turned out great Scott!  :)

Our dinner (had a late lunch yesterday) consisted of sharing a fork while sitting over the unwrapped butt in foil after it had thoroughly rested. ;)

Thank you for your service and defense of our rights.

Back