1st run at a Brisket in my #3

TexasSmoke

So after earning my Boston Butt badge last weekend I am ready to smoke my first brisket.

I bought a 12 1/2 pound prime packer brisket tonight.  I injected it with beef broth and added some oil and covered it with a rub from a local barbeque joint.

I did not brine this one but will on the next one for a comparison.  I wrapped the brisket in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge around 1:00am on Saturday.

We plan to eat around 7:00pm on Sunday.  I was thinking about it going on the smoker at 9:00pm on Saturday. If I smoke for 18 hours and pull it out at 3:00pm that should give some time if it runs long and I can wrap and put into a cooler if it finishes early.

I can't decide if I am going to foil or not.  I know the advantage of foil will shorten cooking time and help power throughout the stall.  If I have the time which makes for a better brisket?  I love a good bark and it seems that would be better without the foil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    988.3 KB · Views: 362
Hello Ron-

Congrats on a Boston Butt (I still haven't earned that badge yet). I did want to let you know that I think your 18 hours allocation may be a bit long. I did my first ~12lb packer brisket and it took 11.5 hours to reach 192, so ~14 hrs with a rest after the cook. My first was brined and injected.  Here's the forums post to it.

I would consider putting yours in your smoker around 3-4am Sunday for a 7pm dinner. Every meat is a bit different though. I'm just giving a suggestion based on my 1st experience. 9pm Saturday is likely to get it done much sooner than you want or need I think.

Also, did you cut the fat cap off? I can't really see it in that beautiful picture below covered in rub.

Ron, that's a great-looking briskie!  Your plan of at least 1.5 hours per pound is solid.  I usually average around an hour per pound @ 225, but I've definitely had them go longer.  You can even hit 2 hours/lb, so be prepared for that (depends on the length of the stall).  Let us know how that rub turns out - looks good!

Like butts, I use mustard for the binder on brisket.  Oil works well, and may also activate some of the "oil-soluble" spices in the rub, but I just like the added depth of the bark using mustard. 

You're making me hungry! ???

BedouinBob said:
Ron, is that mustard seed I see in the rub? Looks nice! Home recipe or store bought on the rub?

My rub is from Rudy's which is a regional barbecue joint here in Texas. I love their que so it was an easy way to get started. I want to put one together from scratch when I get a chance.

I got the meat in the smoker at 10:30am.  Ambient 60 and IT of 38. If it finishes early I will be ok. We can eat early if needed but I am a little nervousness of it talking longer than expected like my first boston did.

You can always hold it at 140 in your smoker if it gets done early too. If you end up needing to hold it, I would recommend turning it down to 140 3-5 degrees prior to your desired finished Internal Temp, because it will typically climb another 5 degrees while it is resting. The reason for this is just because you turn the temp controller down, the insulation in these smokers will cause the smoker temp to stay higher for quite a while unless you ambient temperatures are pretty low. So, your meat will continue to cook until the temp goes down.

You can also rest your meat easily 2 hour or more double-foiled in a cooler with some towels on top as well. You will want to do this step regardless of when you take the meat out of the smoker. I would go a minimum of 30 minutes, but 1-2 hours is way better.

I hope everything turns out well with your meal!

I am 14 hours in and the IT is 193.  The Auber is working great.  The +\- 1 degree is no joke. It has been locked on 225 every time I have checked.

My goal was to get to an IT of 200.  Should I pull it down to 140 @ an IT of 195 as NDKoze suggested and hold for 2 hours and then double wrap in foil and towels in a cooler for 2 additional hours as I go to my sisters OR pull it at an IT of 200 and double wrap in foil and towels in a cooler for 4 hours.

Can I reheat at her place without drying it out?

I think either way would be fine. Even with 4 hours in the cooler I don't know that you would have to reheat. I know when I do pork butts the butts are "very" warm after four hours. But, I have not held them in a cooler longer than 2 hours before.

TexasSmoke said:
I am 14 hours in and the IT is 193.  The Auber is working great.  The +\- 1 degree is no joke. It has been locked on 225 every time I have checked.

My goal was to get to an IT of 200.  Should I pull it down to 140 @ an IT of 195 as NDKoze suggested and hold for 2 hours and then double wrap in foil and towels in a cooler for 2 additional hours as I go to my sisters OR pull it at an IT of 200 and double wrap in foil and towels in a cooler for 4 hours.

Can I reheat at her place without drying it out?

I pulled mine at 195 and quickly double wrapped in foil and into a cooler with towels on bottom and top (holds in heat as well). It will climb to 200 IT inside the foil and it will easily hold heat 2-4+ hours if you tightly insulated.

Thanks for the advice guys!!!  I pulled it out at an IT of 195 and in the cooler it went.  I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 358
Thanks for all of the help guys. The brisket was a big hit. Little did I know that one of the guests there was a very experience smoker and he was very impressed with how it turned out.

I thought some of the thinner pieces of the flat were a little smokey. I used 6 oz of hickory.  I may try a little less of oak next time. 

Also for next time I may try the foil at 150.  I am curious to the difference because the bark was awesome without the foil.

Next up ribs. 

Glad to hear it was a hit, Ron!  Go ahead and try foiling next time - everyone should do it once, so they know the difference.  What I'm guessing you will find is that the bark isn't as good (at least, that's what I've found).  Some like it, but I prefer the bark you get unfoiled - good and chewy!

Back