1st Ribs, St Louis Style

Killjoy

Two huge Ibp ribs from Sam's, they were over 5lbs each. Cut them in half and rubbed them with brown sugar, kosher salt, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Then rubbed that all in with Tbsp mustard on each side and peice. Placed the two thicker pieces on the bottom level and the thinner ones just above that. Placed aluminum pan with apple juice. Up against the middle of the smoke box. Smoked at 235 for 5.5 hrs no peek with 3.5 oz of hickory. Checked them, not ready. Cooked for another hr. Still not ready, cooked for another 30 min. Pulled them out ready or not. Was going to finish in oven if they weren't ready. But they were done.

Looked and smelled amazing. Parts were tender and juicy and parts were a little dry and chewy. Not sure what went wrong on those parts. :(  But it was my only 2nd smoke. So I'm sure with trial and error, and help from the great people here. Ill get it worked out. 

I wasn't able to let them marinate in the rub and mustard over night like I wanted to. But next time for sure. 

Had great smoke flavor and the taste was delicious.
You know when you have a great smoke flavor. When you get up the next morning and burp for whatever reason. And you taste that great smoky flavor. Lol, at least that's how I feel. Sorry, but I'm a little strange I guess. The chicken I smoked last weekend didn't really have any smoke flavor. So I use just a little more wood this time. That seemed to do the trick.

I ordered 10lb hickory, 5lb apple, and 5lb cherry from fruitawoodchunks.com. Should have it by Wednesday. I think I might do wings next. Not sure yet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 352
  • image(1).jpeg
    image(1).jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 365
  • image(2).jpeg
    image(2).jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 403
I don't think anything "went wrong" you just had a chuck of tough pig. They were fully cooked at 5.5 just not broken down so they were tender. Remember SLC ribs never get as tender as BB. You may have dried them a bit with the extra time trying to get them tender. Not a big deal, keep trying.

Looks good Paul. Sometimes I get St. Louis ribs that seem to be a bit drier when they are thinner and have less fat. Ribs are "like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get"...lol.

They look good, Paul!  I agree with Brian - may have just gone a little long.  Your sense of timing and doneness will come with experience. 

I've been a spare rib guy all my life, but after discovering the beauty of baby backs, haven't cooked a spare since!  All juicy meat, clean bones, and less waste than on the spares.  Try some of the Sam's baby backs and you'll see what I mean!  Also, the overnight rest in the fridge, wrapped in plastic with the rub on, helps. 

Ok, thank you for your incite guys.

Yeah I wanted to rub and wrap over night, but that just didn't work out. Will do that for sure next and every time. Going to try the Sam's baby backs next time for sure. I've always favored their meats over all the other stores.
I didn't realize that spare ribs didn't get as tender as baby backs. Smoke and learn I guess.

Thanks again for the advice.

Killjoy said:
I didn't realize that spare ribs didn't get as tender as baby backs. Smoke and learn I guess.

You can get them every bit as "fall-off-the-bone" tender, but harder to be consistent throughout the rib.  The bony end will get drier than the tip end (not as much meat).  That's another reason I like the back ribs - more consistent meat end-to-end.

Back