1st Ribs on #2 with Auber

1stlink

I bought the Auber controler w/permanent probe and installed it about a month ago. Quality control at Auber is somewhat lacking (see pic) and I was disappointed with the instructions and the format (CD).
Probe install went without a hitch and drilling SS isn't that bad if you drill at a very low RPM. I  got very busy with Condo upgrades, flooring, etc but finally did the auto tune yesterday and plan on smoking some Costco Ribs tomorrow.
I haven't had a problem with smoke belch but since I have this dandy new toy I plan to program it to heat @ 150 for .7 hrs and then step up to 230 for a 5 hour no peek smoke.
I read that my Miss Lilly is already a collectors item so I'll join the crowd and use a mini loaf pan on the deck next to Smoke Box loaded w/apple juice/cider!
Ribs will be prepared later today w/olive oil and Famous Dave's Rib Rub and then wrapped in saran wrap for an overnight rest.
As I mentioned above, the Auber directions were a bit challenging for me but with some trial and error I got through the Auto-Tune and watched it cycle for about 2 hours. My fake meal was 20 lb. landscaping stone, maybe a bit larger/heavier than necessary. I think that I have the hang of it and shouldn't have any problem programming it tomorrow.
As always suggestions and comments are welcome..  ;D

Attachments

• 20150113_074748_resized.jpg
    20150113_074748_resized.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 387
I'm more than a little surprised with that picture, Ralph!  I've not seen anything like that before, and am a little shocked they would ship something that looks like that!

If you run into snags with the programming, let us know!

Thanks for the help offer Tony. Still a newbie here but I've been reading for the last two days about the Alber and smoking in general.
I sent that same picture to The Auber people and their reaction was to have me send it back for a refund. I was not impressed.

1stlink said:
...and their reaction was to have me send it back for a refund. I was not impressed.

A refund or replacement?  And, were you not impressed with the unit, or their offer?

DivotMaker said:
1stlink said:
...and their reaction was to have me send it back for a refund. I was not impressed.

A refund or replacement?  And, were you not impressed with the unit, or their offer?
Their offer: "If you are not satisfied with our products or service, please return this controller back to us for refund." They included an RMA number. This is after I sent the same pic to them with a comment. I thought maybe they had shipped it by mistake.
The unit seems OK other that the graphics as noted in the pic. No real test yet other than auto tune...

Yes their reaction was more disappointing than their blemished product. If you or Steve would like to see the emails I'll forward them to you. Let me know.
I just have to hope that it doesn't fail during use as I'm very leary of them now..  ???

My new Auber PID worked great. After some operator errors were overcome and it settled in on 235, it held for over 3 hours without moving even 1 degree until I opened the door of the #2. I was in total awe as I watched the green burner indicator blink on and off!
Early on it dropped to 220 but that was just part of the tuning process to settle in on 235.
I went for the 1800 watt model hoping for better longevity, less strain, etc. and bought direct from Auber because I wanted the Fixed mount probe.
If I was doing it over I would buy from Steve and order the fixed probe option so as to have the drop-in probe for a backup. Live and learn.
Steve definitely offers superior CS as we all know. I can't say the same for the folks at Auber.

Back