11# Packer Brisket in the #2

csteele2144

First time I'm posting my steps and results, lets see how this goes

11 pound Prime brisket from Costco, $3.79 a pound.

agHWvj9.jpg

Thursday Night
Light trimming, corner sliced to identify grain direction.

U0jx77w.jpg

Worcestershire and Mustard slather
GsReWht.jpg

Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder, keeping it simple
scC6qA8.jpg

Wrapped and rested overnight
9qvyXtt.jpg

Will throw it on the smoker late tonight for a family dinner tomorrow, more pics and details to come.

Great looking brisket...like the way the grain runs across the flat...did you cut a little corner pc off so you know which way to slice after the long smoke??

smokeasaurus said:
Great looking brisket...like the way the grain runs across the flat...did you cut a little corner pc off so you know which way to slice after the long smoke??

Yes, I can typically tell after taking it out, but I like the piece of mind doing it in advance.

That's a really nice-looking briskie, Chris!  They have Prime, every now and then, at my Sam's, but mostly Choice.  Usually not much difference, but yours looks like it well-qualifies for Prime!

Ended up pulling the brisket out at 2:30 (15.5 hours of total cook time), I used the toothpick test to check for resistance, the flat was at 196 when I removed and double wrapped it.  I forgot to take pictures of the full cooked brisket...

Held in a cooler until 5, then I separated the point and flat to make burnt ends.  The burnt ends went in the oven @350 for around 45 minutes.

Point

C93ghiE.jpg

Sliced
iR7uRus.jpg

Cubed and Sauced
5sxqmUU.jpg

Sliced the flat just before serving
KyGpHwF.jpg

y7l7wPe.jpg

The full spread
XHpFxI4.jpg

Easily the best brisket I've made to date (5 total), and one of the best I've ever had.  I tend to be pretty tough on myself, but I wouldn't have changed anything about this cook, turned out fantastic.

Eleets2144 said:
One last item I forgot, I used 7 oz of wood chunks that included a mix bourbon barrel, oak, mesquite, and apple.

Nice mix of woods, on my next go at Brisket I want to do oak, hickory and pecan (La Barbecue uses this mix in Austin).

Greg

Have you ever re-smoked those burnt ends?  The oven would be good, but another hour or so, in the smoke, turns them into meat candy!

DivotMaker said:
Have you ever re-smoked those burnt ends?  The oven would be good, but another hour or so, in the smoke, turns them into meat candy!

I have and I agree it's much better, but I wasn't serving at my place, so I resorted to doing everything at my uncle's place.

DivotMaker said:
Got it, Chris!  Way to "improvise, adapt and overcome!" ;)

I do have a question, for those of you who do burnt ends, do you separate the point immediately when you take it off the smoker or do you let it rest for a while first?

Let the whole brisket rest, wrapped in double foil.  I usually then separate the point, immediately vacuum seal it, and save it for later.  The meal is the flat.  I save the point for a full burnt ends meal, all by itself!

Back