Author Topic: St Louis Spares in the #1!  (Read 8261 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: St Louis Spares in the #1!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 09:41:05 PM »
You're welcome, Bob!  Great question.  I don't even use a thermometer on ribs - all about time and feel.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »
Hey Tony, do you trim your St. Louis ribs before cooking? I think that they are then called KC Ribs but I am not sure. I have seen some posts where it seems that folks trim the ribs to get the burnt ends but I would think that you get the burnt ends either way.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »
Bob, I pretty much stick to baby backs these days.  But, if I smoke spare ribs, I buy the 3-rack pack from Sam's.  These are untrimmed, full spare ribs.  Not sure what a KC cut is, but I don't cut the tips off to make them St Louis-style.  I actually made a mistake in my post title, by calling these St Louis spares. :-[   I think the tips are the best part of spares!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 10:31:21 AM »
I did some spares this weekend and really loved them as a change of pace from the regular baby backs.  The texture of the meat was great, firm but tender at the same time. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »
I actually prefer the St Louis Style. I periodically smoke baby backs as a change of pace from my regular St Louis Cut ribs. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.