Author Topic: How did you find out about Smokin-It?  (Read 35443 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: How did you find out about Smokin-It?
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
Thanks for your story, Arnie!  Let me address the shipping, just so you know:  SI packages the units well for shipping, but does not "upcharge" for the FedEx shipping.  They set the rates, based on weight and distance.  These are heavy, over-size packages, and FedEx does a good job getting them across the country undamaged.  When you consider the cost savings of going SI over the 2 main competitors, you are still money ahead, even considering the shipping cost.  Just my 2¢!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »

Tony, that was just my editorial comment on shipping...lol I don't like to paying shipping on anything. It didn't stop me or the rest of us from buying this great product. I really did appreciate getting it in less than a week and yes it was packed great. Good thing too because you could see that the box got beat up on the outside and even bent the metal supports inside the box.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Muzikman

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »
I found Smokin-It via user reviews on several different sites for the Masterbuilt smokers. I decided I wanted an electric smoker since I was sick of trying to smoke in my grill and I wanted something that wasn't going to take a lot of hands on during the smoking process. I looked quite a few different ways, from charcoal to propane to pellet and finally electric. After decided I was going to go the electric route, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on an MES, but started more reviews and one common thing I started noticing. Many folks made comments that they wish they had spent the little extra and got a Smokin-It. At that time I had never heard of SI, so I looked them up and liked what I saw. Looks like a solid construction, nice design and reasonable price. So I pulled the trigger a few days later and now I am a happy owner of a #2.
Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

Barrel99

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »
BTW, Tony, Rubberneck sells the SmokinTex 1400, $600 list, for $515 and free shipping. This was very attractive to me when I was looking and would have saved me $175 in shipping. Almost bought that, then at the last moment changed to the Smokin-It.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »

Tony, that was just my editorial comment on shipping...lol I don't like to paying shipping on anything. It didn't stop me or the rest of us from buying this great product. I really did appreciate getting it in less than a week and yes it was packed great. Good thing too because you could see that the box got beat up on the outside and even bent the metal supports inside the box.

No worries, Arnie!  I didn't see it as complaining, but as an opportunity to clarify, for others, the shipping policy.  The question does come up about marking-up shipping and handling. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »
BTW, Tony, Rubberneck sells the SmokinTex 1400, $600 list, for $515 and free shipping. This was very attractive to me when I was looking and would have saved me $175 in shipping. Almost bought that, then at the last moment changed to the Smokin-It.

Not a bad deal on a 1400, but it's about half the capacity of your #3!  It's much more comparable to the #2.  You made a great decision in the #3, Arnie!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Barrel99

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
I agree Tony. Great smoker and I love the capacity. That's what made my decision final.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:54:28 AM by Barrel99 »

Suzie-Q

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2015, 11:19:51 PM »
I just want to give a shout-out to the mystery writer Lee Goldberg who said his Smokin-It #1 was the best birthday present he ever received.  He said he would never have to go to a Los Angeles BBQ restaurant again. 8)  That got me thinking that maybe I could try this way of cooking even though it looked so complicated and time consuming.  Well, the Smokin-It made it a lot easier for a newbie like me and I've really enjoyed having a new appliance that reliably gives delicious results.

DivotMaker

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »
Great to hear, Suzie!  Amazing how easy it really is!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Ohio1956

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2015, 09:42:09 PM »
I wore out a smoke hollow smoker. It was a good smoker however; it was hard to clean and I thought it would be nice to find one built with stainless steel. I was ready to buy a Bradley and then I did a search on SS Smokers.
   That’s when I found the Smokin-It smokers. I compared the other two brands and I liked the size of the number 3. Like others I thought the shipping was overboard. Then with the weight and over size I decided to pull the trigger. I understand the shipping on the smoker however; it seems like all the shipping is high. Shipping for the Maverick was twice the price as Amazon.
   Bottom line, I am only three smokes into this #3 and I would do the same thing again. I think this is what I was looking for. I was going to build one out of stainless and was drawing up plans, now I don’t have to. I will be buying the Auber soon to complete the deal.
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

mizzoufan

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
Google was my friend.  I was researching electric because I already knew that Lazy Q was the way for me.  I'd never use a stick burner, especially for long smokes because of the fire maintenance required (I live alone) so I wanted to go electric.  It quickly got down to Smokin Tex and SI after I read a few MES reviews.  Though I couldn't with 100% certainty, I think it was these boards that tipped me towards SI rather than smokin tex.
Steven from KCMO

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 02:37:27 PM »
You found the right place, Steven!  Welcome aboard, and happy smok'in!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
Steven, glad to have you with us!!  Google has definitely found us; hard not to, when we have such an incredibly active forum!  I firmly believe you made the right decision, and it's great to have you in the family!
Tony from NW Arkansas

va_rider

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
I'm on a motorcycle forum, where I've been a member for the better part of a decade. Our "Off Topic" section of the forum is one of the most active parts on the forum, and since many of us have been on the forum for quite a long time, we go there to pick "the collective's brain" on thing we're looking to purchase.

When I was moving into a new house earlier this month, I was looking to buy a smoker, and was actually about sold on a XL Big Green Egg. After talking with the guys on the motorcycle forum, a few members recommended going electric, and a couple members have the SI smokers. After hearing their first hand accounts, and seeing that I could get some awesome freebies for being a veteran, it was a no brainer. I liked the build quality and the community here (even though the forum isn't hugely active compared to many other smoking forums).
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

DivotMaker

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 11:19:02 PM »
(even though the forum isn't hugely active compared to many other smoking forums).

Glad you're here, Aaron!  I beg to differ, about "hugely active," though!  Yes, there are other smoking forums that have more members and posts, but they tend to be "one size fits all" forums - not "one smoker fits all" forums.  We are a manufacturer's forum, dedicated to promoting the SI brand of smokers.  I challenge you to find another manufacturer's forum that is more active!  As you can see, we don't have dozens of boards devoted to charcoal, stick burners, reverse-flow, blah, blah, blah.  This is the Smokin-It forum, and we're pretty proud of how fast we've grown.

2 years ago, when I joined, we had 158 members with just over 600 posts.  Today, we have 1600 members with almost 29,000 posts!  Hang with us, as we grow, and you'll see why we're going to be THE premier upper-end electric smoker forum anyone has ever seen!

Let me just also add that I don't think you'll ever see a closer community of friends, than you will here.  As you see, we all post our names and towns, and the discussions are civil and friendly.  I spend time on some of the forums you are referring to, and get tired of the fighting and personal attacks.  We don't have that here - fortunately!  Family atmosphere, and folks that are like family!  Stick around, and you'll see what I'm talking about!
Tony from NW Arkansas