Author Topic: Peterson Pucks  (Read 17851 times)

BIG BOB

Re: Peterson Pucks
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
Divot.... I am gonna get a handle on my #2 before I try the OSB..LOL but I will let you know.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 11:18:33 PM »
Divot.... I am gonna get a handle on my #2 before I try the OSB..LOL but I will let you know.

Hehe...sorry for the construction term!  For those of you who don't know, OSB is a type of plywood that is used for roof decking and wall coverings of houses, and is made in 4' x 8' sheets.  It's made of wood slivers, held together by a type of glue, in layers.  Very strong, and much cheaper than actual plywood.  Always thought the Bradley pucks resembled it.  :)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »
Hey all,

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a bag of the maple pucks.  I'll post back with my thoughts after I have tried them.

Cheers,

- Phil

I'm your huckleberry...

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »
So I smoked some chicken legs using the Peterson Pucks, and they worked great!  I brined the legs, coated them with a dry rub, and used four maple pucks in my model #1.

Smoked the legs for several hours, and the pucks performed beautifully the whole time.  In fact, when the cook was done and I removed the smoker box, three of the four pucks were depleted, but one was still almost 50% intact!  It stared up at me as if to say, "Put me back in, Coach!  I've got more!"   

Flavor was excellent.  Smoky-sweet, bold but not overpowering at all.  Honestly, these are the best legs I've ever done.

I will definitely be buying more pucks, and recommend them highly.

Cheers!

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »
That's great, Phil!  I'm definitely going to have to try these.  It's a great concept, so I can see how everyone is saying the smoke flavor is better.  I would think these wouldn't tend to combust, either, but don't know.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 07:44:03 PM »
One other question, Phil...did you happen to weigh any of the pucks?  The previous post said 1.5-2 oz per puck (depending on the wood), so it seems like 4 pucks is a lot of wood for chicken legs (5-6 oz?).  Just curious how they'll measure out compared to chunks.  I don't use chips, so I couldn't begin comparing against those. ???
Tony from NW Arkansas