Author Topic: Sweet Heat Pork Rub  (Read 11091 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Sweet Heat Pork Rub
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:05:50 PM »
1/2 Cup   dark brown sugar
1/2 Cup   demara sugar
1/2 Cup    paprika
3 tbsp   kosher salt
3 tbsp   ancho chili powder
2 tbsp   garlic powder
2 tbsp   onion powder
1 tbsp    coarse ground black pepper
1 tbsp    ground white pepper
4 tsp        cayenne pepper
1 tsp   ground thyme

For any smoked pork (ribs, butt, etc.), follow these steps:
- Coat with yellow mustard, apply rub liberally, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 12-24 hours.   
- Spray with 4:1 mix of apple juice/Crystal Hot Sauce 75 minutes throughout the smoke.   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:04:08 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: UWFSAE's Sweet Heat Pork Rub
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:37:50 PM »
Nice, as usual.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:09:28 AM »
Joe,
Looks good.  I have a rub similar, never did realize the heat the course black pepper throws off. I needed to adjust my recipe.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
Once I use up the few stores bought rubs I purchased I want to try this on some ribs  :P

4 tbsp. of cayenne, WOW!

Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 10:29:58 AM »
It's a serious heat that the sugar balances ... be sure to have paper towels to mop your forehead.  I typically apply it with a sweet sauce and a honey drizzle when I finish on the grill.  It looks and smells deceptively sweet until that bark hits the back of your tongue ...  ;D

Unless you like super-hot, you may want to back down the cayenne to 2 Tbsp. ... for me, it's the same rush I get from eating Bentley wings at Hooters.
Joe from Houston, TX

UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
A huge mea culpa!  When I retyped all the ingredients from my BBQing/Smoking Spreadsheet (yes, I am that anal retentive) I mistyped the amount of cayenne pepper!  It's been nagging at me so I spot checked the original recipe.

It should read 4 TSP (1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp) and NOT 4 Tbsp.  This difference, obviously, might kill someone ... if you are one of those who spontaneously combusted from my typo I apologize!

I've corrected the recipe to reflect this change.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:13:52 PM »
A huge mea culpa!  When I retyped all the ingredients from my BBQing/Smoking Spreadsheet (yes, I am that anal retentive) I mistyped the amount of cayenne pepper!  It's been nagging at me so I spot checked the original recipe.

It should read 4 TSP (1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp) and NOT 4 Tbsp.  This difference, obviously, might kill someone ... if you are one of those who spontaneously combusted from my typo I apologize!

I've corrected the recipe to reflect this change.

Nice catch, Joe!  Don't want to be a BBQ serial killer! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 07:12:03 AM »
Ha! I haven't heard of any deaths from cayenne overdose on the news so I think you're safe Joe  ;D

I like heat but I had already decided that when I make this rub I would start with 1 tbsp., probably still go with that amount.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

rickne

Re: Sweet Heat Pork Rub
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »
This sounds like a nice rub.  I'm going to try this.  I will say, from past experiences, the white pepper could be the "sleeper" in this recipe.  When I want to get my chili hopped up, I reach for the white pepper.  It does the trick every time. 
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »
This sounds like a nice rub.  I'm going to try this.  I will say, from past experiences, the white pepper could be the "sleeper" in this recipe.  When I want to get my chili hopped up, I reach for the white pepper.  It does the trick every time.

I bet you're right, Rick.  White pepper can certainly "kick it up a notch!"  I have to admit, though, I'm not really sure where "white" pepper comes from! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas

rickne

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 01:04:02 AM »
I just looked it up because I wasn't all that sure. 

White pepper comes from the same peppercorn as black, but it consists of the inside of the peppercorn only.  From what I read, it's flavor is "longer and drawn out, tending to linger."  I think that is a great way to describe it.  Maybe it isn't that much hotter, but it certainly seems to linger, and I think it "numbs" your mouth more.

But then again, it might just have to do with the freshness.  Fresh pepper, of any kind, seems much bolder and stronger. 

I buy the black pepper in the bigger jugs and I'm sure it's not all that fresh.  I can only find the white pepper in small containers and we go through it pretty quickly.  That may likely have more to do with it than anything.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID