Author Topic: Ordered #3 yesterday  (Read 30788 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Ordered #3 yesterday
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 07:46:20 PM »
I ordered the Maverick Digital (ET-732).
Once I have it, i will run some test and post what I am
coming up with. Thanks for sharing info.
Have a great 4th, I am going to BBQ 2 butts & 2 turkey breast for family
and friends.

Sounds like you'll be the 4th of July hero! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Thin Blue

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
"Smoke 'em if You Got 'em"
 ;)
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

es1025

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »
Thin Blue
You went all in with the set-up cart and all.  Looks good. You will be the talk of your neighborhood.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Spresso

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »
Hey thin, I just received my #3.... as i wrote in the other thread I charted the temp swings.  Mine is ~12degrees higher average than the set amount!!! GREAT!!
I already had the Maverick.....
I'm very happy with it so far.... Welding could be nicer and with a fewer burn through but otherwise great!!
Zed
Hope yours is a s good!
Tomorrow first test run with pulled pork.....
Alas my backyard is still not ready so the smoker sits in the garage....
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
Hey thin, I just received my #3.... as i wrote in the other thread I charted the temp swings.  Mine is ~12degrees higher average than the set amount!!! GREAT!!
I already had the Maverick.....
I'm very happy with it so far.... Welding could be nicer and with a fewer burn through but otherwise great!!
Zed
Hope yours is a s good!
Tomorrow first test run with pulled pork.....
Alas my backyard is still not ready so the smoker sits in the garage....

Definitely can't go wrong with pulled pork for a first cook!  Good luck!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 07:26:17 AM »
Spesso, you need to smoke in open air, if you are smoking a butt you are to require a bit more wood than say ribs (I used 6 oz for my butt). I would definitely plan to have the smoker outside.  I can tell you if I open my smoker (not in use) that smoking smell stays in the garage for a while.  Be careful.
Tony is right you can't go wrong with a butt.  Low and slow is what these machines do. Assume 1.5 hours/pound and add two hours for resting in a dry cooler.

Good Luck!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Thin Blue

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 08:14:39 AM »
Congrats Zed, pork butt is a great way to exercise the new smoker, good luck.

I have used smokers in front of the garage, not in, and
the garage smelled like Grannies old smoke house for weeks.

I thought it was pretty cool at first, then we got some rain, high
humidity, heat, and it was't so cool.

Let us know how it goes.

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
hi Spresso...because of rain this week, I ended up smoking wings one day and ribs the next in the garage.   I put the smoker right at the garage door so it was close to open air, and I added a fan in the garage to blow smoke out.    While this worked for me, I can still smell some smokiness in the garage two days later...
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Thin Blue

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »

All went well here for the 4th.
Temp swing still drives me a little crazy, more on
that when I get time.  Two 7# Butts in #3 for 16 hours, butt temp
185d had to pull because of time, they were done, rested them in foil in
cooler for hour, and pulled well. Everyone thought the pull pork
was great. I trimmed the  2 - 5# turkey breast of the rib cage and smoked on Brinkmann vertical electric for
3.5 hrs. Turkey turned out great. Used Hickory wood for all. Hope all had good 4th, I
know I enjoyed using my smokers. 

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »
They look great, Thin!   I had a 7# butt and removed it at 175F after 11.5 hours ... going by your time, it looks like the butts need more than 1.5 hours per pound that I had read on other sites!   I clearly wil need to allow much more time when I attempt my second Boston butt!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2013, 10:45:51 AM »
Remember, the 1.5 hour per pound calculation is a a rough calculation for stick burners, gas smokers, and electric smokers alike.  Even competition cookers will agree that depending on a wide variety of variables (meat characteristics, environmental factors, initial cooker temperature, air movement and humidity, etc.) that directly impact cooking time.

The plateau with electric smokers tends to be a bit longer than others ... I still recall being 50% freaked out and 50% pissed when I saw dropping on my meat probe when it hit 163.  Three hours later and it finally started crawling upwards again ...

Remember ... it's done when it's done.  Perhaps give yourself 1.75 hour per pound plus your 60-90 minutes of resting time; if it's done early, you wrap it and put it in a cooler.  If it takes longer, open another beer.   ;D
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
Thanks, Joe!  When I first started the smoker, I was amazed by how fast the butt came up to about 140F and thought to myself, wow...this thing will be done early!  Now I know.   I can't wait to try another butt, and this one is NOT coming off the smoker until 200F.   I may even budget myself for 2 hours per lb and see what happens.

I am going to do some more research on the SMF site regarding other factors.  For example, the butt that I had did not have a lot of fat on the top and I wonder if that affects cook time.  Truth be told, I am not even sure if I had the fat side up in the smoker, which may be another issue.   Much to learn!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Thin Blue

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 01:28:52 PM »
I smoked the two 7# butts at 235d, best I could tell, on the #3.
I smoked the 2 turkey breast on my 5 year old Brinkmann vertical electric
Smoker. I let the Brinkmann warm up for 1.5 hrs. With the water pan full
of water.  It held at 225d for the full cook 3.5hrs.. The breast temps
were 162d and 163d when I wrapped in double foil and put in cooler for
2 hrs.. I then removed from cooler and sliced as company consumed.
They were completely done.  Probably could have taken out sooner and they
would have been moister.  It is amazing how much cooking progresses
when meat is wrapped and given time to rest in a cooler.

Happy cooking.

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »
If you're pressed for time, you can "fast forward" through the stall (like Joe said, around 163) on large cuts by using the "Texas crutch."  The Texas what??  Simply put, pull the meat and wrap in heavy foil, or place in a foil pan and cover tightly with foil, and continue the cook.  The stall, or plateau in temperature occurs when the fat and connective tissue in the meat begin to liquify and all that juice rises to the surface of the meat.  Why does the temp stay steady for so long, or actually go down a bit?...evaporative cooling!  Just like us when we get hot outdoors and start to sweat - the breeze will cool our bodies (pretty sure we were designed that way:).  Cooking meat is the same.  The Smokin-It smokers are pretty tight, but there is still air flow through them (if there wasn't, our wood would not smoke).

Pros to the Texas crutch:  Will shorten cook time up to 2 hours on a brisket or butt.  When foil wrapped, you'll see the temp steadily climb because evaporative cooling is stopped.

Cons:  The bark is not as dry and chewy.  One option is to wrap until temp reaches about 180, then finish the cook unwrapped to firm-up the bark.  The other option is to just enjoy the flavor and moistness you'll have in your finished product.

If I have a lot of time to kill, I'll let it work it's way through the stall on its own.  If I want to shorten cook time, I'll foil.  I usually never foil a pork butt.

Here's a great explanation of the stall from amazingribs.com, and one on the Texas crutch, too:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/texas_crutch.html
Tony from NW Arkansas

Thin Blue

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »
Intriguing, I have never finished prduct in foil, may be time to try.
Thanks for info Tony  :)