Author Topic: Country Style BEEF Ribs (Boneless)  (Read 3385 times)

TexasSMK

Country Style BEEF Ribs (Boneless)
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:15:50 AM »
Going to give this a try.  About 6lbs of boneless beef ribs.  Made a Rub of yellow mustard mixed with Pepperoncini Juice (Didn't have Pickles)--3/4 cups each, and used Black Pepper and Kosher Salt

Plan is to place them in the smoker at 225 to an internal temp of 190.  I have read a lot of different things on these--final temp varies greatly.  Has anyone done these before?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:39:38 PM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Country Style BEEF Ribs (Boneless)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 11:35:58 AM »
I have done them if you mean boneless short ribs. They will turn out great. I prefer getting a whole short rib plate but that makes a hunk of meat on a rib!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

TexasSMK

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
Thank you Bob, that eases my mind a little!  According to Bruce "Weekend Warrior"  this type meat (Ribs without BONES?) has many aliases:
"AKA
Boneless Country-Style Ribs
Chuck Short Ribs
Boneless Short Ribs
Boneless Braising Ribs
English Short Ribs
Middle Ribs"

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:36:39 PM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

TexasSMK

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
The Auber is following the smoke plan fairly well. 
Seemed to heat up quickly:
1.5 Hours:  156IT
3 Hours:  165IT At this point I opened the door and replaced the foil quickly on the smoke box lid--was starting to get a little burn smell. Meat looked great, plenty of water still in the pan.  Closed and resumed.

What they looked like prior to going going in:

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 10:46:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can skip replacing the foil on the top of the wood box, even if it gets kind of burnt. I've never heard of anyone doing that, but I might be wrong. I've never done it, even on my longest smokes. It does end up with lots of burnt on crud, but I've not noticed any burnt taste.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:51:02 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TexasSMK

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:14:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can skip replacing the foil on the top of the wood box, even if it get kind of burnt. I've never heard of anyone doing that, but I might be wrong. I've never done it, even on my longest smokes. It does end up with lots of burnt on crud, but I've not noticed any burnt taste.
I had never done it before--may have been a mistake.

TexasSMK

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:33:59 AM »
Final Update.  Reached 190IT at around 4 hours.  Wondering if opening the door to change the smoke box foil caused the rapid IT increase the last hour.  I pulled, foiled and placed in a cooler for an hour.
Sauced them and caramelized on the grill.  Taste was great, but seemed over done.  Some pieces were tough, others were really good.  I would definitely trim the fat off better next time--not tasty fat.  I do not see myself doing "Boneless" Ribs (Doesn't Even Sound Right) again with this smoke plan.  They were all consumed, and no one tried to cut me--all in all they were OKAY! Think I would go with pulling at 140IT, braising, saucing, and caramelizing next time. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:39:06 AM by TexasSMK »