Author Topic: Another First Brisket / Packer Thread  (Read 5668 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Another First Brisket / Packer Thread
« on: December 09, 2016, 12:46:49 AM »
I'm planning to smoke my first brisket beginning this Saturday afternoon.  It's a full packer weighing in at 12.66 pounds.  I think it will fit whole in my #2 if I place it corner to corner on the rack.  I'm allowing up to 16 hours @ 225 (not a hard limit, just a plan) before having to pull it out of the smoker.  I'll be metering it with two probes and waiting for a good indication that it's hit 195 before messing with it.  I think I'll use hickory and pecan. 

So... here come the questions.

Brining  - How important is it?  What are the benefits? What is the shortest effective brining period?  Will I hate myself if I skip it?

Prep I'm planning to do yellow mustard and a simple rub (garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper) all over.  How much seasoning is too much?  How much is too little?  Should the fat cap be scored?  Is four hours rest after applying the rub acceptable?  Can it realistically be shorter?  Is there a benefit to waiting longer?  Any secrets in this stage that I should know and consider?

Placement - I'm still a noob, so I'm being overly cautious.  It should be placed with the fat cap up, correct?  I mentioned that I think it will fit whole if I put it diagonal on the rack...  will it be problematic if it comes in contact, very minimally, with any of the interior of the smoker?  Even if that isn't ideal, would it still be better than cutting it in half and smoking it on two racks?

Other - How many ounces of wood should I consider for this smoke?  Once it's done (by touch / feel) I'll pull it, wrap it well in foil, wrap that in a towel, and throw it in a cooler to rest for some number of hours.  Do I need to worry about it falling apart when trying to pull it out of the smoker?  Do folks usually just dump it from the rack onto a baking sheet to bring it inside and do the wrapping bit?

What am I totally leaving out?

Thanks in advance everyone!

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Another First Brisket / Packer Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 05:27:46 AM »
Brining  - How important is it?  What are the benefits? What is the shortest effective brining period?  Will I hate myself if I skip it? I don't brine the Prime Packer briskets that I buy from Costco. I don't think it's necessary for Prime. But I might brine a Choice brisket, and for sure a Select. Although I'd only buy Select if I was really desperate. Brining certainly wouldn't hurt. If brining, don't put any curing salt in the brine (see "Prep" below). Some people here like to inject, but I have never injected. I will leave it up to the other forum members to answer your other questions about brining. Since I always buy Prime from Costco, I don't brine my brisket. If you do choose to brine, then you should reduce the amount of salt in your rub.

Prep I'm planning to do yellow mustard and a simple rub (garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper) all over.  I don't use mustard on brisket (I do use it on pork butt). I just rub with oil, then the rub. But that's personal preference. How much seasoning is too much?  How much is too little?  Just pretty much what sticks. You don't want to cake it on, but brisket can take a fair bit of seasoning. Should the fat cap be scored? I usually score my fat cap, because I tend to leave it fairly thick, 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Is four hours rest after applying the rub acceptable?  Can it realistically be shorter?  Is there a benefit to waiting longer?  I don't feel like there is much difference between leaving the rub on for 4 hours or 1 hour. Any secrets in this stage that I should know and consider? After brining (if you choose to brine), here's what I do as far as the rub. I've become pretty attached to the faux smoke ring. So I apply a good dusting of Morton's TenderQuick. (This is why you do not want to use any curing salt in the brine.) Refrigerate for 30 minutes or so, then rinse the TenderQuick off. Dry with paper towels, then apply some oil (or mustard if you choose), and the rub. At this point, I would get it right into the smoker. If it sits around for too long (like a few hours), the TenderQuick cure will continue to creep it's way into the meat, and you might end up with a faux smoke ring that is too large. If you are not doing the TenderQuick step for the faux smoke ring (it is only for looks and is not necessary), then you can apply your rub well in advance of smoking.

Placement - I'm still a noob, so I'm being overly cautious.  It should be placed with the fat cap up, correct?  Oh boy, you are opening a can of worms with that question. I'm going to say fat cap down, if you are smoking it whole on one rack. Some people put their fat trimmings on the top of the meat to help keep it moist. I mentioned that I think it will fit whole if I put it diagonal on the rack...  will it be problematic if it comes in contact, very minimally, with any of the interior of the smoker? Even if that isn't ideal, would it still be better than cutting it in half and smoking it on two racks? I don't have a #2, but if placing it whole on one rack means that there is very little space around it for airflow, smoke and heat circulation, you might be better off cutting it in half, and placing on two racks. Most people will tell you to keep it whole whenever you can, but I have excellent results in my #1 cutting it in half, because the point can take, and needs more heat than the flat. If cutting it in half, place the flat fat-side-up on the top rack. Place the point fat-side-down on a rack below. The point will shield the flat from the more intense heat. My target temps are 195 in the flat, and 200-205 in the point. With this two-shelf arrangement, they seem to get to their target temps around the same time.

Other - How many ounces of wood should I consider for this smoke? 5-6 ounces. Once it's done (by touch / feel) I'll pull it, wrap it well in foil, wrap that in a towel, and throw it in a cooler to rest for some number of hours.  Do I need to worry about it falling apart when trying to pull it out of the smoker?  It should be very jiggly when you pull it out of the smoker, but it shouldn't fall apart if you handle it carefully. I use heat-proof silicone gloves to remove it from the rack to a sheet pan lined with big sheets of foil. Do folks usually just dump it from the rack onto a baking sheet to bring it inside and do the wrapping bit? I usually have my baking sheet ready with two layers of big sheets of heavy-duty foil, and take it outside with me. You can take the whole rack inside and deal with it there too. Inside or outside doesn't matter. In the winter, I'm getting back inside as fast as I can.

What am I totally leaving out? This is just the way I do it. Others on the forum will probably have different ideas.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:57:37 AM »
Kari nailed it for you Larry. I do mine basically the same way as Kari described.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 11:00:21 AM »
+1 to Kari but I tend to always brine and inject. I figure it doesn't hurt and with brisket prices, I don't want to take a chance.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

ibbones

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »
Wow, Kari, I'd like to shake your hand or hug your neck for that awesome answer.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Walt

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »
I like to brine + inject. No need to cut in half. Stuff it in, it will shrink rapidly. Ensure it is clear of the internal temperature probe. Fat cap up or down doesn't really matter in these units. Done it both ways many times with equally spectacular results. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Walt

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
Also, I have seen a few posts with programs shifting too early due to probe placement being in a fat pocket. Not good if you're putting it in before sleep. I find the brine + injected briskets consistently take right @ 1.5 / lb. Therefore, I program by time. Last night I put a 13lb one in @ 2200 programmed it for 20 hours @ 225 then a hold @ 140. This afternoon, I will start monitoring the temperature to pull & wrap.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
I went ahead and brined for ~4 hours because this is not a prime brisket.  I washed/dried it and then put on my rub, wrapped it up, and threw it in the refrigerator for a couple hours.  At 8:00 last night it went into the smoker...  I decided to use a mix of woods. (hickory, pecan, and cherry)  I also foiled the bottom of the wood to try to ensure it wouldn't ignite.  I did do it as one whole piece with the fat cap down, though it occurred to me that I forgot to score it.

I took the brisket out at ~9:45 this morning...  it looked excellent and was nice and jiggly.  I've got it wrapped really well with foil and then in a towel and resting now in the cooler.  I'll try to remember to take a picture when I unwrap it.

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback to my original request... it was all very reassuring and helpful.  Since I'm using an analog #2, I slept just fine last night knowing my 'program' wouldn't change.  I was very tempted to get the 2D, but I think I'm happy I went old-school.
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »
I'm with you Larry on the analog. For me, the D would be nice for cold-smoking and precise temperatures in the lower range, but other than that, my analog is great. You can always run a D like an analog (except the D will have more accurate temperature). I think the trick for those that have the D models is to not run a "program" while you sleep. You don't want the thing shutting off or going to warm because of bad probe placement, fat dripping on a probe, or other issues, etc. I think if you go to bed, and you "know" it's not going to be done while you sleep, then it seems best just run it straight up at your set temp. Then use a wireless thermometer next to your bed with warnings set for box temp and meat temp, like us old school people do.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 04:55:33 PM »
Oh, wow... this is to die for.  This is so tender, juicy, and flavorful that I can't even imagine what Prime would be like.  Thanks again to everyone who provided input and encouragement.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 05:58:16 PM »
Way to go Larry! Looks like it turned out great. Now you just have to figure out what you are doing next....  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 08:27:02 PM »
Nice job, Larry! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 09:52:31 PM »
I'm going to try a second brisket... this one is bigger so I've cut it in half.  I'm giving chunks of it to co-workers as xmas gifts.  :)  Hopefully I didn't just have beginner's luck and this one will turn out as awesome as the last one.