Author Topic: Help #2 or #3  (Read 9824 times)

Jake

Help #2 or #3
« on: March 08, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »

Hi everyone. I'm new here on the forum. I have never owned a smoker. I'm tired of trying to smoke on my Weber gas grill. Please help make my decision on a 2 or 3. I'm leaning toward a #2.

I think the standard shelf brackets for the number 2 and 3 have the same height and shelf spacing. (I know the the shelf brackets have different lengths.) I believe the standard shelf bracket has 5 shelf positions.

With the shelves mounted in the lower peg holes can any tell me what the distance is from the bottom shelf when it is in the lowest position to the inside top of the number #2 or #3.

What is the distance between the shelf positions.

Finally with a shelf in the top position, what is the distance from the shelf to the inside top of the #2 or #3.
Jake
Southern Wi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Help #2 or #3
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 07:05:46 PM »
Welcome from ND Jake! Going right to the Cadillac for your first smoker huh?

I would recommend the #3. For just a little more money the extra length comes in handy more often then you would think.

Verses the #2, you can smoke whole slabs of ribs, full packer briskets, two 10lb Boston Butts, etc.

You can smoke a lot in the #2, but in most cases you are going to have to cut your ribs/brisket or bump them up against each other or the walls/door.

I'll see if I can take some measurements tonight when I get home on my #3.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »
I just did a quick measurement (3D) With the brackets in the top hole producing the greatest space between the top shelf and the ceiling is pretty close to 4 inches. I have 2 3/4 inch between shelves (support to support) and from the bottom shelf to the ceiling is 14 3/4 inch. If I understood your question correctly.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Jake

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:26:47 PM »
Thanks everyone. I couldn't believe how fast I received replys to my questions. Oldsarge you gave me all the information I needed. I can easily  smoke 2-8 lb pork shoulders at the same time in the number 2. That leaves the door open for a number 2. I guess I have to decide how much I like the extra hundred dollars. I know the right thing to do is to purchase the number 3.
Jake
Southern Wi

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »
Always do the right thing. The "extra" hundred dollars is like investing in real estate: the dividend pays off in the future. There will come a time when you will be glad you have the extra capacity.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 09:03:47 PM »
I know you have the measurements, but here are some pics that may help too.

I have the add-on rack that adds 4 more shelves, but the they just add the 4 shelve in between the the standard 5 shelves, so you can get a good idea of how much space you have.

You won't go wrong with either the #2 or #3.

Subliminal AdvertisingSplurge for the #3!!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:28:36 PM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »
+1 if you want full st louis ribs not cut in 1/2 (or slanted sideways) the #3 has more room

If you are on the fence, just spent the $$$ on the #3, dont look back.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Jake

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 10:05:11 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information and the pictures. I think it will be a number 3. My big question had to do with cooking 2- 8lb shoulders and a packer brisket at the same time. Which might happen once a year at most. Or possibly a turkey.  Looks like it is not going to happen in a number 2.

I think the extra real estate is the way to go. It will allow the heat to circulate better. I just didn't want the extra real estate to be an alligator eating up an extra hundred dollars and space on my deck.
Jake
Southern Wi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 10:14:32 AM »
Double butts and whole packers "can" be done in a #2, but the butts will be very close together and have to be relatively small as well as a packer will have to be relatively small and you might have to fold the end of the flat over on itself to fit.

The extra real estate of the #3 just gives that added airflow that is so nice. I normally only smoke for 3 people, but still am very happy to have the extra space when smoking larger items. I regularly smoke two butts and separate, vacuum pack, and freeze in smaller meal sized portions that I can pull out and have a quick meal that tastes as good if not better than the day I smoked it.

I was in the same dilemma about deciding between the #2 and #3 and it was more of a money issue for me. I just waited and save for an extra couple of months until I was able to spring for the one that I wanted. Waiting for a couple of extra months verses 10+ years with the smoker I really wanted was a no brainer for me.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
Sorry I missed the discussion, Jake, but it sounds like you've made the best decision, for what you would like to be able to do!  #3, all the way, for not just volume (multiple large cuts), but length!  The ability to throw a 18# packer brisket in there, uncut, cannot be taken for granted!  It's a beautiful thing!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Glock_21

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »

I was in the same boat back when I bought mine.  I spent the extra $$ and ordered the #3.  No regrets, buy once, cry once.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
"buy once, cry once"

And grin for years to come.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:52:00 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Glock_21

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »

And grin for years to come.

^^^ This, every time you open the door when the food is done.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

snakyjake

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 11:17:39 AM »
Some of the common comments I hear between #2 and #3 are:

#3 allows you to smoke whole racks of ribs, and full-length packer briskets

The ability to throw a 18# packer brisket in there, uncut, cannot be taken for granted

Since I haven't done brisket or "whole packs" (yet), I don't understand what that really means or I have taken something for "granted".  Can someone explain?  Or is the wholeness only for presentation?

Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

snakyjake

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 11:30:29 AM »
I don't have a #2 or #3 yet, but something else I've considered for the advantage of the #3 that I don't think the #2 can do:

Smoke 2 x 8 lb pork butts + 1 pan of beans/mac&cheese

At minimum I smoke 2x8lb PB.  Why?  Because that's the way they come, I don't like trying to fit the other 8lbs into a freezer bag, don't like thawing meat, and frozen leftovers are still good (though nothing beats the taste when it first comes out of the cooker).  So the solution is just cook 2 at a time, and have the rest as leftovers.

But I believe 2x8lbs in a #2 doesn't leave room for a pan of beans, chili, or mac & cheese, or anything else.  That doesn't sound like a balanced meal to me. 
And what about a water pan?

Is there enough room in the #2?
Is a water pan recommended when also doing beans/m&c?  Or do these pans serve the purpose of the water pan?  Without risking drying out the beans/m&c?

What would be the suggested setup?
(A)
1x8lb PB
1x8lb PB
1xpan of beans/mac & cheese
1xPan of water

OR
(B)
1x8lb PB
1x8lb PB
1xPan of beans/mac & cheese

Jake from WA.