Author Topic: Ribs and pork burnt ends  (Read 5218 times)

scubapreacher

Ribs and pork burnt ends
« on: December 19, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
Got two racks of ribs and some cubed country ribs (from the shoulder) for pork burnt ends. Looking forward to dinner!
Mike from Flint, MI area
Model 3
Auber PID w permanent wall probe

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Ribs and pork burnt ends
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »
Sounds yummy! If by chance your pork burnt ends are dry, don't cube them until the last hour or 2 next time.  I would have smoked the whole country ribs until they were just about done, then cubed, sauced and put back in to finish. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
I still need to try pork for burnt ends!  Brisket point is the pinnacle, but I've also used chuck roast.  Pork butt burnt ends are supposed to be the bomb!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

scubapreacher

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 11:49:27 AM »
Burnt ends were delicious! 6 year old daughter loved them. The ribs were good too.
Mike from Flint, MI area
Model 3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 04:54:40 PM »
I'm doing some pork burnt ends today.

I'm with Dave on not cutting the ribs until putting them in the foil pans.

The author (Jeff) from your link cut them to increase the surface area to increase the smoke flavor. I really don't think I am going to lack smokiness by not cutting into cubes for the first step.

So far I just put the country style ribs in a 2-gallon zip lock, added some mustard and rub, and let rest in the fridge last night. They went in the smoker set at 235 with a piece of Smokinlicious Hickory that I split in two (I'm guessing around 4 Oz +/-) at about 3:00pm and are currently at 153 if my probe placement can be trusted. My ribs were not as thick cut as some I have seen. So, I'm not 100% confident in my temp readings. This may end up being a go by feel/taste smoke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 01:02:57 AM »
My burnt ends turned out pretty damn good!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 05:41:42 AM »
My burnt ends turned out pretty damn good!

They looks great, I will have to give this a shot!

Thanks Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 09:10:19 AM »
Yep, I'd eat all of that! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

scubapreacher

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »
Gregg, those look delicious! Next time I'll try smoking then cubing them.
Mike from Flint, MI area
Model 3

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 10:22:23 PM »
Congrats to all on the burnt ends!  When I do them, I don't use a pan.  I toss them in a bowl with the honey/BBQ sauce and rub, then lay them out on Q-Matz to smoke (single layer on a shelf).  I find this produces very uniform smoked ends, because all sides of the cubes get hit with smoke, and there's no parts shielded from the heat/smoke, like you get in a pan.  Just my way, not saying the "right" way!  I know all the Q shows/sites do burnt ends in a pan.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 11:05:33 PM »
I did stir them several times. So they got smoke. Plus they got belted with 3 hours of smoke on the racks before I cubed/sauced them.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »
No problem, Gregg!  I bet they tasted great!  I do them out of the pan not so much for extra smoke (brisket point ends are already smoked, too), but to get good heat all the way around every side so they actually form new bark on all sides.
Tony from NW Arkansas