Author Topic: Instructions, videos, or pics for Single probe Auber 1210 GPH  (Read 4339 times)

Gary

• Newbie in terms of actual smoking experience/
I am getting ready to use the Auber 1210  single probe with my SM1. All the instructions on the site seem to be about the two probe model. Are there any for the single probe? I sure would appreciate any guidance.
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Instructions, videos, or pics for Single probe Auber 1210 GPH
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
Curious why you went the single probe route.  To me, the main point of the Auber is not just box temp control, it's the 6 programmable steps that are triggered by time or the second probe.  I know the single probe has the K connectors, and wish the double probe model did too.  I don't know of anyone who has the single probe model, so I can't help with instructions.  I will, however, be interested to see how it performs for you!  Don't take this as "knocking" the single; I'm really just more curious as to why you chose to go that route.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
The auto tune process only involves a single probe.  So, if you plan on using your single probe for box control, you will want to follow the standard instructions either printed or as documented on our site here to auto tune that probe.  If you plan on using the single probe for meat thermometer, well, that will be different story. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:33:44 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Gary

Why I got single probe - Didn't really think it through
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:53:47 PM »
Got it before I even knew about this thread, had some problems with SM 1 that Steve immediately took care of, had people working on surface of condo deck and and just now getting ready to use it. I have had problems with Maverick Probes, was interested in keeping the temperature of the box ,and thought I would keep it simple and stick to one. The short and quick of it is that I really didn't think it through before I brought it, now I will have to live with it. Wish I had discovered this thread earlier. I will keep you all posted on how it goes tomorrow.
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
Got it, Gary!  Too bad we couldn't have helped sooner!  On the bright side, it should help hold your box temps really tight!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 09:13:33 AM »
Gary,
How did it go? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Gary

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 05:39:46 PM »
Dave, It went real well considering...

I wanted to smoke hamburgers along with a 3.4 pound boneless pork butt and I had to leave for a meeting. Let the pork butt sit for about 15 minutes while I was getting the SM 1 and Auber ready, set the Auber for 225 and popped that rascal in. It took about 72 minutes for it to get up to 225, but it did just before I left for the meeting. Came back about 2.5 hours later and it was still on 225. All was well.

I took the hamburgers out of the fridge and popped them in above the butt and below the sensor. To say the least there was an immediate drop in temperature and an hour later it was still only showing about 190 in the box. Took me a while to realize that I had kind of messed things up by putting the cold hamburgers where I did and when I did.

Eventually, it went back up to 225, I took the burgers off when they were done  and using a digital thermometer and time actually ended up with pulled pork that everyone liked. My brother in law liked it so much he said he was going to buy a SM 2.

I opened the smoker about three time to check the temp of the butt, it didn't drop that much and recovered to 225 fairly quickly at about a degree every 40 seconds or so.

Although I messed up, I learned a lot just by being able to see the digital display in real time.

Want to thank you guys for all your help.

I am going to invest in a permanent probe. This dangling thing is for the birds.

Hope you all have a great 4th of July.
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 04:09:08 PM »
Good all turned out OK, Gary!  In the future, I'd recommend saving the burgers for the grill, and don't disturb that butt!  Also, get a remote thermometer (even a single probe), so you can monitor temp without opening the door.  When doing butts, ribs or briskets, it's best to not open that door until they're done.  A lot less hassle, and better results.  Sometimes, we get caught up in trying to smoke different, dissimilar, meats together, and it rarely works out well.  Focus on the main course, and let the other things wait.  Just my 2ยข...
Tony from NW Arkansas