Author Topic: Brine Calculators  (Read 7194 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Brine Calculators
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:34:23 PM »
I decided to brine two chicken breasts for dinner tonight and I really didn't need 1 gallon of brine!

So I could do the math in the head or look for something quick and easy. Below you will find an app for IOS and Android phones. They do more than brines and I bought the Android version and it works fast and easy. The downside is that they cost $5.00. So below that you will find a free online calculator that allows you to adjust from 1%-10% brine and finally for those using the Equilibrium brine method (Thanks to Tony for posting) you will find a link to that.

Based on the best-selling cookbook, the Ratio app gives basic methods and calculates ingredient amounts for all the fundamental cooking preparations. Whether you want cakes and cookies or sausages and brines, Ratio is an all-purpose kitchen tool and guide. Includes gram-ounce converter, recipe storage, social media links.

Android App
Ratio - By Ruhlman Enterprises, Inc. ($4.99)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ruhlman.droid.Ratio&hl=en

Iphone App
Ratio -By Ruhlman Enterprises, Inc. ($4.99)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ratio/id345119718?mt=8

Free online calculators.

Pickl-It Brine Calculator to determine how much salt to use in your brine recipe. Select the target brine %, amount and unit of water, and preferred salt weight unit.
http://www.pickl-it.com/blog/737/brine-calculator/

Martin's Equilibrium Brine Calculator
http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

Greg

Walt

Re: Brine Calculators
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 05:49:12 PM »
Very nice Greg. I have been useing Martin's since he posted it. I like it. It works well. It seems very few use the equilibrium method but it really works well.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:52:27 PM »
Always nice to have options, Greg.  I'm also a fan of Martin's free calculator, for the EQ brines.  Personally, if I need less than a gallon, I just halve the recipe.  If between 1/2 and 1 gal, I just make a gallon and use what I need.  K.I.S.S.! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »
Always nice to have options, Greg.  I'm also a fan of Martin's free calculator, for the EQ brines.  Personally, if I need less than a gallon, I just halve the recipe.  If between 1/2 and 1 gal, I just make a gallon and use what I need.  K.I.S.S.! ;)

Hey Tony,

Staying with the Lazyq the simple brine works... thus the basic calculator works great and you have options for veggies.

In the future I will give the EQ brine a shot, but unless my results change, I am happy with my smokes.
Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
I should have clarified more, Greg.  EQ brines have to have an exact amount of liquid, so they are not scalable.  I was talking about good old gradient brines, like my butt brine, as far as just cutting the recipe in half.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 08:12:21 PM »
I should have clarified more, Greg.  EQ brines have to have an exact amount of liquid, so they are not scalable.  I was talking about good old gradient brines, like my butt brine, as far as just cutting the recipe in half.

Hey Tony,

No worries, I think I understand the difference of two processes.

So in a world test, do you really notice a difference in the end results.....

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 08:19:09 PM »

The "end result" is subjective.  If I try to repeat very exact results, the equilibrium brine is key (like for jerky).  Time is not a factor, so if you leave it too long, it will not be ruined.  If I want "close enough," I use gradient brining (known brine, with time being the control).  For simplicity, I use gradient brining with butts and briskets, but I also have a pretty good idea of min/max times needed to get the results I want.  Poultry is the same way - close enough is good enough. 

If you try equilibrium brining, do it on something you want very tight control on.  The cool thing is, you can very accurately adjust the results to exactly what you like.  Too salty?  No problem - dial back the salt percentage next time!  Too sweet?  You get the point.
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »

The "end result" is subjective.  If I try to repeat very exact results, the equilibrium brine is key (like for jerky).  Time is not a factor, so if you leave it too long, it will not be ruined.  If I want "close enough," I use gradient brining (known brine, with time being the control).  For simplicity, I use gradient brining with butts and briskets, but I also have a pretty good idea of min/max times needed to get the results I want.  Poultry is the same way - close enough is good enough. 

If you try equilibrium brining, do it on something you want very tight control on.  The cool thing is, you can very accurately adjust the results to exactly what you like.  Too salty?  No problem - dial back the salt percentage next time!  Too sweet?  You get the point.

Hey Tony,

As always thanks for your input and insights, with every post I hope to learn and share.... :)

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »
As I do your great insight, Greg!  Loved the beer fries!  Wife was crazy about them, but I did mention in my post about the meal the insides were a little soft for my taste.  Really good, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
As I do your great insight, Greg!  Loved the beer fries!  Wife was crazy about them, but I did mention in my post about the meal the insides were a little soft for my taste.  Really good, though!

Hey Tony,

You can never beat fresh cut fries in peanut oil....

But the beer fries are really great.

Greg