Author Topic: Pork butt – more than 2 hours per pound?  (Read 5246 times)

Paul90409

Pork butt – more than 2 hours per pound?
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »
I did a tester pork butt yesterday, but it didn't work out so well. It was a 3.5-pounder, and I only did a rub day of (no mustard or anything) and set it at about 235. I started it around 3:45 p.m., but by 11:20 p.m. It was only at 170 degrees. (Goal was 190 for pulled pork.) it was late enough that I had to pull it (had to go to sleep at that point), figuring I could finish it in the oven a day later. So I wrapped it in tin foil (twice) and put it in the fridge, only because I couldn't lay it out for two hours (again, had to go to bed). Two questions:

1. Why so long to even hit 170? (Incidentally, I used an iGrill2 to keep tabs on the IT.)
2. Based on what I did with the meat after pulling it, am I still OK to finish it in the oven (at 350) a day later?

Thanks!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Pork butt – more than 2 hours per pound?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »
Question 1: - Pork butts under 7 lbs seem to be notoriously long to cook.  Guys have reported 3 to 4 hour per pound cooks on the small cuts like your sample.

Question 2: - That will work for finishing. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »
Dave has your questions covered.  Next time, try a 7 or 8# butt and I think you will get more typical results of 1.5 to 2 hours per lb to reach 195IT.   I think your temp of 235F for the smoker is spot on.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Paul90409

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
Thanks for your responses.

More time per pound with a smaller cut of meat. OK, good to know. Would that same rule apply to tri-tip?

Paul

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »
Would that same rule apply to tri-tip?
Actually the opposite with this cut of meat.  With most pulling a tri tip in the 130 - 135 internal temp range, this happens pretty darn fast.  It happens before any stall period in the meat. 

Paul90409

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »
How do I know whether a particular cut of meat will take a longer or shorter amount of time per pound? Is there some sort of chart about this?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 02:52:51 PM »
Generally speaking, smaller butts, hams, roasts take a longer time. I am sure there is a scientific reason but I don't care, I just accept that it does. Use your smoker as often as you can, you will learn its quirks.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Limey

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:20:13 PM »
Paul, you say your "goal was 190 for pulled pork". Most of us take it to 195 or even 200 for pulled pork. You might want to increase the target IT a bit. These smokers are so airtight that meat stays moist even at elevated temperatures. Just my thought...
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »
How do I know whether a particular cut of meat will take a longer or shorter amount of time per pound? Is there some sort of chart about this?
Paul,
There are cuts of meat that are tough and require a lot of muscle breakdown to get tender like pork butts and beef briskets.  (Think meats that require a 195 to 200+ internal temp) These cuts are the ones we say will take 1.5 to 2 hours per pound.  Cuts of meat that just need some smoke and can be served rare to medium rare take a lot less time because you aren't breaking down a lot of muscle and the finish internal temp is 60 - 70 degrees less than the tough cuts. 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 05:22:37 PM »
Check out the guide in this post. This may help you with some of your questions:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Paul90409

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 12:15:26 AM »
Conclusion: I did finish the pork butt in the oven at 350. I know. Too high. The leaner part was a tad dry, but the fattier part was perfect, especially if you like that jelly! (The pork butt seems to have a few different cuts of meat. I have lots to learn, obviously.) Now the house smells fantastic, and I'm looking forward to more smoker "experiments." Even went out and bought alder, cherry, apple, and hickory. Will look for pecan as well. Coming up: tri-tip, sausages, short ribs, and brisket.

Thanks for the great feedback!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »
Paul, go with a 7+ lb bone-in Boston butt for pulled pork - you'll have much more predictable results, and be much more satisfied!  Plus, you'll have leftovers to be creative with! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mizzoufan

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 09:00:05 AM »
Now Tony, don't go making promises like "you'll have leftovers".  Invite a few people over and suddenly that 7-9lb butt just disappears *poof* and you're 'forced' to fire up the SI again.
Steven from KCMO

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »
Hehe, yeah, I know, Steven!  Especially if it's a really good one, it can and will disappear really fast!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!