Author Topic: Hot Link Recipe  (Read 3857 times)

RG

Hot Link Recipe
« on: June 28, 2015, 06:50:06 PM »
Pork Belly asked so here it is ;)

RG's Hot Links

6 lbs. Boston Butt (net weight after trimming from approx 7-8 pound butt)
1/2 Bottle Shiner Bock Beer
2 Tbs. Coarse ground black pepper
2 Tbs. Crushed red pepper
2 Tbs. Cayenne
2 Tbs. Hungarian Paprika
9 tsp. Morton's Tender Quick
1 Tbs. Whole Mustard Seeds
4 Tbs. Minced fresh garlic (I get it from the jar since I'm lazy)
1 Tbs. Garlic Powder
1 Tbs. MSG
1 tsp. Ground bay leaves
1 tsp. Whole anise seeds
1 tsp. Coriander
1 tsp. Ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced beer over the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture back through the grinder and mix again.

Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke at 180°-190°...or slow direct grill until internal temp reaches 150° to 160°. Remove from smoker/grill and allow to cool. Reheat on grill or frying pan to crisp up skin (just like any other sausage). Freeze what you don't want for later. A vacuum sealer is your friend!

Tips : It helps immensely to have your grinder parts frozen cold, keep them in the freezer until you need them. Also, it helps to have your meat partially frozen after you cut it up into 1-2 inch cubes. This helps in grinding it. If you don't have it super cold, it will heat up while grinding and the fat will melt and the ground meat will be mush! You can grind a piece of bread at the end of the grind to get the last little bit of meat out of the grinding plate. This will not hurt the recipe. Just be sure you do this on the FINAL grind then mix the bread up well within the meat before packing into the stuffer.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:43:38 PM by RG »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Hot Link Recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:09:21 PM »
Hey Jason,

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

The recipe is straight forward with no weird ingredients or additives.  While I have never made stuffed sausages I have been making pizza sausage from scratch for years, but after seeing this, I want to give your recipe a go.

I also like your secret ingredient, always good, Shiner Bock Beer!

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 07:31:08 PM »
This looks good, thanks for sharing.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

RG

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:40:19 PM »
You're both welcome! Try it and let me know what you think. I do recommend smoking it though, if you don't want to smoke it, leave out the tender quick since it's not really needed for fresh sausage. Just use regular salt to taste. You can still use the TQ, it just makes it change color obviously ;)

Greg, the beer is a big component of this. It's a great vehicle to deliver the spices and moisture to the meat. I drink half of the bottle and make my slurry with the remainder. Call it's Chef's Privilege ;)

RG

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 07:46:13 PM »
Also, in case you missed it in the ingredient list, this is called Hot Links for a reason. Don't be skeered though, it's not too hot, just has a nice little kick.

cogGrease

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »
Sounds and looks good, thanks for sharing. I'll be trying this soon.
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker