Author Topic: Apple Juice or Orange Juice in the box  (Read 9291 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Apple Juice or Orange Juice in the box
« on: June 13, 2015, 01:18:08 PM »
Hey Everyone,
       Read a lot of posts here most everyone uses Apple Juice in the tray next to the fire box. Was wondering about using Orange Juice?
Thanks,,,
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Apple Juice or Orange Juice in the box
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 01:20:14 PM »
Doesn't really matter, Bill.  Water works just as well for moisture.  I like apple juice only because it smells really good when the meat is smoking, but you can't really tell any difference in the taste of the meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 01:42:01 PM »
I've used both apple and orange juice and they both make a nasty burnt mess if you evaporate your pan.  I just use water. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:56:14 PM »
Save money and just use water, save the Apple Juice when you reheat a butt.

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »
I use apple, 3/4 small pan filled.  Since my 4 year old drinks (not from the smoker!) it we usually have it on hand. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
Pic

Most gone after 5 hr smoke
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »
Thanks everyone, just thinking out of the box. And yes am sure it would make a mess if you run the pan dry. But, purchased some throw away bread pans at the Dollar General.  ;)
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Limey

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »
I have tried lots of different liquids(water, beer, wine, apple juice, water with vinegar etc) and cannot taste any difference between them. Now I just use water and save the beer for drinking.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
I have tried lots of different liquids(water, beer, wine, apple juice, water with vinegar etc) and cannot taste any difference between them. Now I just use water and save the beer for drinking.

I agree, I hate to waste good beer!

Greg

mizzoufan

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 09:30:34 AM »
I think a large percentage of us have tried other stuff.  I've done Dr. Pepper, apple juice and Shiner...all the meat tasted the same as water so the other 3 are drinks or sauce ingredients now.
Steven from KCMO

va_rider

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »
When I ordered a stand for my #2 (got tired of bending over) I ordered the "Sasha Flavor Saver". It makes it really easy to add a water pan. I put about an inch of water in it, and hang it directly over the heat source. Every time I've used it so far, I pull it out with more liquid than I put in it. After the monster 16# brisket, it was dang near overflowing from the meat juices dripping down into it.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

mizzoufan

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
I hadn't thought about using that as something to catch juices.  Might have to order one so I have drippings to use without using a large pan that would affect the heat/smoke flow
Steven from KCMO

TheLocNar

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 12:18:26 AM »
Save the apple/orange juice for spritzing, and any beer for drinking. ;)
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 10:12:56 AM »
Jeff, you will find that spritzing will be discouraged with these smokers.  With a proper water pan, these smokers are a little humidity box and keep the food really moist.  Opening the door to check the food or spritz will be one of the first things we try to beat out of you as it lets out the heat, smoke and moisture. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 09:50:22 PM »

Gonna need to revise, after using the SI, Jeff.  No need, at all, for spritzing!  Lazy Q, man, gotta love it!  These smokers retain moisture like you won't believe, especially if you use a water pan on the floor, next to the smoke box.  No need to use all those stick/charcoal burner techniques you had to do to counteract the drying effect of that heat source.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!