Author Topic: Cooking too fast?  (Read 6498 times)

va_rider

Cooking too fast?
« on: June 13, 2015, 09:40:15 AM »
I've got a packer brisket that I put on about an hour ago on the top two shelves. Thicker part on the lower shelf, thinner part on the upper shelf.

After an hour, the IT of the thick section is over 150. I've got the temp on my #2 set at 220°...  What's going on?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Cooking too fast?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:42:31 AM »
Don't do anything just yet.  It can sit at 150 for a few hours if it is in the stall phase.  If it continues to climb fast, try readjusting the probe or even switching probes to insure it is reading correctly. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

va_rider

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply. It's been stalled at 165 for a little over an hour now. I do think I have a bum probe though..  One seems to be reading 5° off from the other in a controlled environment.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »
Aaron, you probably want to readjust your probe - it may be touching the shelf.  No way a brisket gets to 150 in an hour.  Since it's cut in half, it will smoke like a single one of the halves (14 lb cut in 2 will "act like" a single 7 pounder).  Keep that in mind, for total time.  You're stalling now - let it ride!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

va_rider

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 08:38:31 PM »
Placement of probe was good. The brisket hit 150 in 1hr,20min. There was about a 4 hour stall. I started at 8 this morning and took off the thicker piece at 190 at 6:30. The thinner piece, I foiled at 170° and took it to 203°..
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 08:41:29 PM »
Looks great, Aaron!  How'd it taste?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

va_rider

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 08:46:45 PM »
It was great. I doubt I'll pull at 190 again...  It was good, but the consistency of a tender steak.  Conversely, the 203° was falling apart a little too easy...  So, somewhere between those two will likely be my set point next time.

I did a very simple rub. Diamond Salt, Coarse black pepper, garlic and onion powder.  Everyone loved it, and most ate it with just the rub, even though I had my homemade sauce available.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 08:48:24 PM »
I pull mine at 195, then wrap/rest in the cooler for an hour.
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »
I pull mine at 195, then wrap/rest in the cooler for an hour.

+1

Pull at 195 and let rest in cooler for 1+ hour.

Greg

va_rider

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »
Yeah, after I pulled them out of the smoker, I double wrapped in foil and let them rest in the cooler for an hour. I intended to let them rest 2 hours, but people got hungry.

Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

va_rider

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 08:02:56 PM »
So, how does one check the rheostat for proper operation? Just tossed on 5 chicken thighs at 230. They were done with an IT of 172° at 1hr 48min.  Thighs were cold at the start, as was the smoker.  Ambient temperature outside is ~73°
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 11:37:01 AM »
So, how does one check the rheostat for proper operation? Just tossed on 5 chicken thighs at 230. They were done with an IT of 172° at 1hr 48min. 

Sounds like you just did. ;)   Timing sounds about right, at that temp.  I would recommend bumping it all the way to 250 for poultry - it doesn't get any benefit from "low and slow," and it will cut the cook time a bit.
Tony from NW Arkansas

va_rider

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 02:24:17 PM »
According to your cooking chart, that's over an hour fast.  Had the same thing with multiple briskets.  A 12.5 lb packer was put on at 6:15 pm and was done at 9:15am. 15 hours seems too short for that as well.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

mizzoufan

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 09:50:39 AM »
Every smoker's time will vary a little and every piece of meat can vary greatly.  Brisket (for me) is almost always an hour per pound so I would consider 15 hrs on a 12.5lb packer slightly long.  I always plan on 1.5hrs/lb though just in case, a longer rest never hurt a brisket that I'm aware of.
Steven from KCMO

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 07:36:03 PM »
Every smoker's time will vary a little and every piece of meat can vary greatly.  Brisket (for me) is almost always an hour per pound so I would consider 15 hrs on a 12.5lb packer slightly long.  I always plan on 1.5hrs/lb though just in case, a longer rest never hurt a brisket that I'm aware of.

+1.  The times & temp chart is a "guideline" only!  Every piece of meat will vary.  You're lucky that the briskets you buy are pretty consistent.  The pork butts I buy are like that - just over an hour per pound.  But, the one I did this weekend was just over 1.5 hours per pound!  I advise everyone to use at least 1.5 hours/lb for butts and briskets.  If it finishes sooner, it's easier to hold it longer than it is to deal with one that isn't done at supper time! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas