Author Topic: Need some help with using whole smoker.  (Read 6505 times)

jimepage007

Need some help with using whole smoker.
« on: June 12, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
Hi all:

I am using one of these for commercial smoking of ribs. I found that the "compression seal"  was still letting smoke escape, so I lined the door with nomex and problem solved.
However, I find that I can smoke without adding water as i've added a flexible stack and the unit holds the moisture in...
Now for the problem:
I can only fill the top half of the smoker with ribs as any closer to the element and the ribs just get too hot, black and crispy to be served...it pretty much ruins them. I am smoking at 225 for 5 hours with the Auber.
I am thinking of adding a rack just over the element with bricks to act as a buffer between the closest rack of ribs and the element, but I am also thinking of ramping temps up or something else will take care of this problem...this #4 has quite the powerful element.
Anyone have any ideas or thoughts? To me, being able to fill up the #4 only half way defeats the purpose....!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Need some help with using whole smoker.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »
Heat shield isn't a back idea but be careful not to make it too big and block too much air flow.  When I do cheese in my #4 I completely cover a low rack with a couple layers of ceramic tiles and it really reduces the heat above the shield.  Where is your box temp probe? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jimepage007

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »
Hi:
Thanks for answering.
I put the box probe pretty much half way in the unit.
I was thinking a brick setup around the primary gate leaving 1/2" around the perimeter for smoke/air flow would work....what are your thoughts?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 09:21:18 PM »
I think you are going to have Auber problems with just a 1/2". 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jimepage007

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 09:49:41 PM »
1"?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 11:05:10 PM »
I would think 3-4" would be better.  You might also consider installing the permanent (wall mount) probe for the Auber.  Autotune with the heat shield in place, and you should get more consistent results.  You might even consider just a block big enough to cover that big ol' smoke box.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jimepage007

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
I have the probe right next to the wall halfway down the smoker, virtually acting as a wall mount I guess.
Was thinking of just putting those ceramic briquettes on a rack right over the smoker box, perhaps it'll dampen the direct heat a bit and even it out, or do you think I should just use brick and try to force the heat around the sides, i.e. Indirect heat...?

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 01:15:50 PM »
I'd try the minimum approach first - bricks over the firebox.  You can always adjust later, but if the simple approach works, you're in business!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

LTS

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
  Did you try just switching the racks ? like are baking in a regular oven

jimepage007

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
No, I can't switch racks. I have it set up on a timer system to start at 4:30 AM so yhe ribs are ready when I get to work at 9:30.

DLRobinson

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 06:27:24 PM »

I can only fill the top half of the smoker with ribs as any closer to the element and the ribs just get too hot, black and crispy to be served...it pretty much ruins them. I am smoking at 225 for 5 hours with the Auber.
I am thinking of adding a rack just over the element with bricks to act as a buffer between the closest rack of ribs and the element, but I am also thinking of ramping temps up or something else will take care of this problem...this #4 has quite the powerful element.
Anyone have any ideas or thoughts? To me, being able to fill up the #4 only half way defeats the purpose....!

I think that this would work well.  I often cook on a Big Green Egg and that is what they use between the coals and the rack in order to convert the unit from a grill to a smoker.  I think that if you were to get a pizza stone, you could shield your meat from any temperatures swings off the wood box/element while still allowing good airflow around the round pizza stone.  Add of pan of water on top of stone and you have an even greater thermal sync. Plus you could make really good brick oven pizza!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:21:02 PM by DLRobinson »
David from Chesterton, IN
Model #4  Auber 1503GPH PID

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 06:29:36 PM »
Good idea, David!
Tony from NW Arkansas

jimepage

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »
Very awesome idea David.
In the end, I used a large thick square pizza stone in one, and filled up one rack with ceramic bricks in the other. (I own 2 of the #4's)
It worked quite well and I am able to get more ribs in them now.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 07:42:02 PM »
I am smoking at 225 for 5 hours with the Auber.

You might consider trying a batch at 270 for three hours, if your bypassed.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud