Author Topic: Calibration of the smokers  (Read 2319 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Calibration of the smokers
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:05:09 PM »
As I see posts from folks here in the forum wondering is my smoker working correctly, I wondered how are these smokers calibrated?

Now if this is a secret I will understand, but it would be nice to know. That way when you think your smoker may not be hot enough, you will have an idea of how to check it with a probe for troubleshooting.

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Calibration of the smokers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 08:16:28 PM »
Sorry Greg, it's a "highly-guarded" trade secret, and sharing it would be punished BPOD (by penalty of death).  Haha!  Actually, they are not individually calibrated at the factory (except for the model).  It's an analog controller, and a known element size, so it's just a matter of orienting the dial to the right position to correspond with the temperature setting.  Like everything in life, this is not perfect.  Sometimes, it may be a bit off; that's why the knob is actually adjustable.  You can move the knob to a more accurate orientation for the displayed setting.  Here's the directions:

Temperature Adjustment

Darn...now that I've told you, I'm afraid I'm going to have to kill you...sorry. ;) ;D ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:41:34 PM »
Sorry Greg, it's a "highly-guarded" trade secret, and sharing it would be punished BPOD (by penalty of death).  Haha!  Actually, they are not individually calibrated at the factory (except for the model).  It's an analog controller, and a known element size, so it's just a matter of orienting the dial to the right position to correspond with the temperature setting.  Like everything in life, this is not perfect.  Sometimes, it may be a bit off; that's why the knob is actually adjustable.  You can move the knob to a more accurate orientation for the displayed setting.  Here's the directions:

Temperature Adjustment

Darn...now that I've told you, I'm afraid I'm going to have to kill you...sorry. ;) ;D ;D ;D

Hey Tony,

While I am not really ready to go at this time, I will let my wife know that I gave it all to my Q......

See you in the afterlife!

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:45:23 PM »
While I am not really ready to go at this time, I will let my wife know that I gave it all to my Q......

Greg

Hahaha!  I'm not either, but giving it all to your Q is admirable!   ;D ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:51:51 PM »

Greg

Hahaha!  I'm not either, but giving it all to your Q is admirable!   ;D ;D ;D
I'm pretty sure that if he really tells her that, your work will be done Tony.   ;D
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 08:56:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if he really tells her that, your work will be done Tony.   ;D

You've found me out, Dave...all part of the plan. ;)   Always have "plausible deniability!" LOL!
Tony from NW Arkansas