Author Topic: Baby Backs over Memorial Day weekend  (Read 2598 times)

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Baby Backs over Memorial Day weekend
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:18:27 PM »
Hi Everyone:

I hope everyone had a fun and relaxing Memorial Day!  Well, instead of St. Louis Spares as I stated earlier, I just went with some Baby Backs from Costco.  They looked very tender and meaty, and I just have always done St.Louis, so I wanted to try something new.  I have to say, I really missed my Model #2 over the Winter, and these ribs reminded me of what I was missing.  Nothing fancy.....just rubbed down with Texas BBQ rub, put in fridge for about two hours, and then into the smoker at 225 for about 3 hours.  Took them out and slathered with sauce and in for another hour.  My Auber just worked so well that I only varied about a degree in temp throughout the smoke.  I used Apple and and Hickory.  I need to take some pics of the ribs after they are cut, but we just devoured them :).    I believe it was a success.  Here are a few of the pics until they were served. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:21:36 PM by MNGuy1959 »
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

MNGuy1959

Baby Backs over Memorial Day weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:19:15 PM »
Two more pics. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:21:49 PM by MNGuy1959 »
Gene from Minnesota

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Baby Backs over Memorial Day weekend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
Ribs look great, but when you click on the photos they go off the screen. You need to resize them to 800x600 and that will fix the problem.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:53:49 PM »
Wow, Gene, the ribs look great, but that sure looks like a LOT of wood for a rib smoke!  I'm about a 3 oz. guy - looks like you have enough for a Boston butt!  They weren't too smoky?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MNGuy1959

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »
Hi Guys:

So sorry for the very late response.  It has been a bit hectic around my house. 

Noted, Gregg.  I will resize the pics next time to 800 x 600.  I did this with minimal tools at my disposal (i.e. just my phone lol).  But I appreciate the feedback.   No sense in posting pics if they are not useful :)

And Tony, yes, I do think the ribs were too smoky.  I don't know what the heck I was thinking, as that was way too much wood.  I didn't get any complaints, but I think my guests were just being polite.  I don't do ribs that often any more, so I went back to my notes, and I agree, 3 oz of wood is plenty.  This was probably about 6 or 7 oz, so next time I will ease up, but they still tasted very good, as the wood was apple and cherry mostly, so not as heavy as hickory.  I am planning on trying it again this coming weekend, to see if I can get back to perfection :)
Gene from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »
I thought they might be, Gene!  Good thing most people are used to BBQ restaurants that tend to over-smoke! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!