Author Topic: New User in VA  (Read 7248 times)

va_rider

Re: New User in VA
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »
I smell so amazing right now.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 08:22:45 PM »
Congrats and Welcome, Aaron!  You'll love your new friend, and will find you use it SO much more than the make-shift setup you were using!  I've been there, done that!

Yeah, don't worry about checking box temps during seasoning - it's drive you nuts.  Also, you really don't need to monitor box temp during a smoke, either!  Just set it, and forget it, until you hit the right internal meat temp (or time, for things like ribs).

I recommend the classic Boston butt for pulled pork for that oh-so-fine "inaugural" smoke!  You really get a good feel for how that bad boy performs on a long smoke, and you get to smell it all day!  But that's all you have to do - smell it!  No tending, adjusting temp, foiling, spritzing, etc...  Lazy Q All The Way!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

va_rider

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »
Ok. I've got the list for the inaugural smoke on Saturday. I'll be doing 4 racks of baby backs, a whole chicken, a tray of mac and cheese, and some brats.

Here's my plan, please feel free to give suggestions / guidance.

Tonight I'm going to prep the ribs, put the rub on, wrap them in plastic wrap and toss them in the fridge.  I'll make a brine for the chicken and also get that going tonight.

Tomorrow, I'll pull the chicken from the brine, possibly remove the skin, or put on a rub under the skin. I'm planning on tossing in 4-5oz of sugar maple chunks around 11am and loading the ribs (bone down) and chicken (breast down?) into the smoker at 225. I'm planning on the 3-2-1 on the ribs, so at the 3 hour mark (2pm) will pull them and foil them, then toss them back in. I'll have a probe in the chicken waiting for 165 internal. For the mac and cheese and the brats, I really only want about an hour of smoke (just want to get some smoke flavor on the brats, then finish them on the grill), so I was thinking of just tossing them on when I'm doing the final hour of the ribs, but at that point, there won't be much smoke left right? So should I add a chunk of wood? Or change the plan as to when things go on the smoker?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 12:17:51 PM »
Wow, nothing like going big for the first smoke!    I wonder, though, if you will be able to fit the whole chicken and two racks of ribs in the smoker at the same time.   The ribs will need two racks and will need to be cut in half to fit, and a whole chicken will need a rack as well.   I guess you could fit the chicken on the bottom and ribs above, but I think it will be tight.   The chicken will likely need about 4 hours, while the ribs will need all of 5 hours.    I am not a fan of opening the smoke box once the unit is up and running (hot!), but you may need to add a bit more wood at the end if you want to smoke the brats and M&C.   When I do M&C, I let it smoke for 2 hours.

Good luck...let us know how it goes!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 03:21:04 PM »
My 2 cents, you may want to think about going 3-1-1 if you are using baby backs. The 3-2-1 method is used more with spare ribs. Baby backs will take less time than the spare ribs and I would think the 3-2-1 would be too long for baby backs . I am a big fan of the 5 hour no peek method for baby backs.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

va_rider

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
My 2 cents, you may want to think about going 3-1-1 if you are using baby backs. The 3-2-1 method is used more with spare ribs. Baby backs will take less time than the spare ribs and I would think the 3-2-1 would be too long for baby backs . I am a big fan of the 5 hour no peek method for baby backs.

Thanks for the advise! Just the kind of thing I was looking for.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 04:43:21 PM »
Definitely 2-2-1 for BB ribs, but most of us just go with the 5 hour no peeky method.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 07:21:13 PM »
Welcome Aaron…………as a newbie myself here with a SI #1 this form is so vita to all my successful smokes, these people are very knowledgeable and they love to share.  I also go along with the 5 hr no peek…………good luck and post some pictures
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 07:37:06 PM »
Aaron, while I applaud your plan to "go big" on your fist smoke in the new #2, I'll honestly tell you that you may be setting yourself up for failure.  First, 4 racks and a whole chicken will not fit in a #2.  You will use 1 shelf per rack of ribs (you don't want them jammed up against each other - the smoke and heat need to flow around them).  Next, you are smoking "dissimilar" types of meat.  You want to smoke your ribs at 225-235, and your chicken at 250.  Plus, you're going to be doing a lot of door opening - very counterproductive to a good smoke.  It lets all the moisture out, and the smoker has to constantly reheat itself. 

I would recommend starting out a little more conservatively.  Smoke all the ribs first, by themselves.  Don't mess with the "3-2-1," "2-2-1," or whatever foiling method you decide on.  Just put the ribs in there with a juice pan on the floor (next to the smoke box), close the door, and don't open it until around 5 hours.

When the ribs are done, let the smoker cool and start the chicken and mac & cheese. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm not telling you to change your plans, I'm just giving you my 2¢ worth, from a guy who has a lot of smokes in the #1 and #2.  Every tool has its limits, and your plan will likely exceed the #2's capabilities.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

va_rider

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 05:38:13 PM »
On this advise, I did the ribs separate. 5 hours, no peek with a loaf pan of apple juice next to the smoker box.  Ribs were overcooked and dry after 5 hours at 225. Wish I would have foil wrapped, or had a probe in them.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:40:22 PM by va_rider »
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

va_rider

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 07:16:02 PM »
Hands down, the winner of the day was the chicken.  Breast down, two racks up from the smoke box, dry brine rubbed on, all skin removed before cooking. It took about 3.5-4 hrs for the probes to register it done.  I had one probe in the thigh, and one in the breast.  It was super juicy and flavorful. Did a simple herb rub on top of the dry brine.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
Nice job, Aaron!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

va_rider

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 04:05:24 PM »
Thanks. Next time I'll have a probe on the ribs and in the smoker. I think the rheostat may be consistently off by a bit. Chicken was done in 3.5 hours. Brats were at 170 in less than 40 minutes.... Seems a little quick if the box was actually at 225.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 04:09:52 PM »
3.5 hours for the chicken at 225F sounds about right, at least for a 6# or so chicken.   For the ribs, it will be tough to insert a probe and not hit a piece of bone, so we just go by time for ribs.  At 225F, 5 hours would be about right for the ribs, but this will vary depending on how meaty they are.   I would try the ribs again, and just start checking at 4.5 hours to see if the meat is pulling back from the bone.   All in all, though, you are up and running!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »
3.5 hours for the chicken at 225F sounds about right, at least for a 6# or so chicken.   For the ribs, it will be tough to insert a probe and not hit a piece of bone, so we just go by time for ribs.  At 225F, 5 hours would be about right for the ribs, but this will vary depending on how meaty they are.   I would try the ribs again, and just start checking at 4.5 hours to see if the meat is pulling back from the bone.   All in all, though, you are up and running!  Cheers

+1 - but start checking the ribs at 4 hours, until you find the "sweet spot" for your taste & smoker (everyone's a little different on what they like).  I smoked 2 racks of meaty baby backs last weekend, and I always do 3 racks at a time.  I totally spaced out and didn't account for the reduced meat mass in the smoker!  I actually overcooked mine a little at 5 hours!  First ribs, ever, in the SI that were overdone.  Live and learn!  You can't probe ribs - you'll never get an accurate reading with so little meat, and so much bone.
Tony from NW Arkansas