Author Topic: Bird legs  (Read 6726 times)

drains

Bird legs
« on: May 26, 2015, 07:06:04 PM »
I have a five pound pkg of chicken legs I would like to introduce to the smoker and would like to ask anyone who has experience with this type of situation to offer their suggestions and recipes. Also smoking times and wood you used, sauces, rubs, etc. Many thanks and happy smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Bird legs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »
I have not done just chicken legs, but I do chicken quarters often.   For me, I brine the chicken at least 3 hours, then remove, rinse, and apply rub.  In the smoker at 225F with 3oz of wood, preferably cherry for me (nice sweet taste on chicken).  The chicken halves usually take 2-3 hours, and I probe one of the thighs to get to 165IT.    I think it would be hard to probe a chicken leg and not hit bone, so I would recommend checking a leg with a thermapen at about 2 hours to see where you are on the IT.    The skin will not be crispy when finished, but you could give the legs a quick trip to the grill if you want to crisp up the skin.   Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:11:28 AM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »
Thank you, that sounds like a good plan. I may try that today. I have some oak from whiskey barrels I may try. They sure smell good, when I open the bag I want to put a chunk in a glass of ice and coke. :P
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:21:17 AM »
Let us know how you make out!   Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »
Not to sound negative but my past experience with chicken has always been better with the skin removed due to the fact that in my opinion it always seems rubbery . Just my 2 cents which is three cents short of a nickel.
[I[I .............

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »
The skin always comes out rubbery from the smoker. It just doesn't get hot enough to crisp it because of all the moisture. But the skin does serve to maintain juiciness in the chicken so I always leave it on.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 04:01:26 PM »
The skin always comes out rubbery from the smoker. It just doesn't get hot enough to crisp it because of all the moisture. But the skin does serve to maintain juiciness in the chicken so I always leave it on.

+1

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
+2, and on skinless chicken breasts, I wrap in bacon to help protect moisture.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »
+2, and on skinless chicken breasts, I wrap in bacon to help protect moisture.

I have wrapped pork in bacon but never chicken, I will have to give it a try.

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 04:11:31 PM »
An old sock wrapped and smoked in bacon will taste good...lol
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 08:39:10 AM »
An old sock wrapped and smoked in bacon will taste good...lol
LOL ....Ha Ha Ha  ...Aint that the truth , and if I may let me re-phrase or mention that I may not like or cook my chicken with the skin on other then wrapping it in Bacon with the skin off and to tell you the truth this recipe alone that Tony / Divo , posted up on this forum actually changed my whole out look on doing Chicken in the smoker which by the way is a recipe that is a must try .      http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2262.0
[I[I .............

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »
I plan on doing a couple big bags of chicken wings in the smoker for a party.  I generally prefer grilled chicken to smoked chicken so my plan is to only have the wings in the smoker long enough to absorb some smoke and then finish on the grill. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

1stlink

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 01:38:29 PM »
I have not done just chicken legs, but I do chicken halves often.   For me, I brine the chicken at least 3 hours, then remove, rinse, and apply rub.  In the smoker at 225F with 3oz of wood, preferably cherry for me (nice sweet taste on chicken).  The chicken halves usually take 2-3 hours, and I probe one of the thighs to get to 165IT.    I think it would be hard to probe a chicken leg and not hit bone, so I would recommend checking a leg with a thermapen at about 2 hours to see where you are on the IT.    The skin will not be crispy when finished, but you could give the legs a quick trip to the grill if you want to crisp up the skin.   Good luck!
I'm liking this plan, thanks Steve.  8)

drains

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
Pics of the chicken legs and some sausage. Rubbed the legs with McCormick BBQ spice then on the#3 with 2oz hickory 2oz oak whiskey barrel chunk @ 225 until 170 degrees by instant read thermometer. Also some echrich sausage went in with the chicken on the top shelf over the chicken. After smoking I gave the legs a coat of sweet baby rays BBQ sauce and then a few minutes under the oven broiler. Turned out great.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:07:34 PM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3