Author Topic: #porkmaphia rubs  (Read 6186 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
#porkmaphia rubs
« on: May 23, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
I met Phil Wingo a member of Porkmaphia.us Phil was kind enough to share with me a pound each of his Memphis Mud and Texas Gold Rubs.

I did two butts with the Memphis Mud the taste was excellent sadly I only got a sliver of those as I was giving those away as funeral food. Today I started a 10 pound batch of chicken leg quarters with the Texas Gold. I will update this with some pics.
http://www.thebbqsuperstore.com/product_p/pork-mafia-texas-2.htm
http://www.thebbqsuperstore.com/product_p/pork-mafia-memphis-1.htm
Phil is a long time Pitmaster and was on the team that just won First Place Poultry and Second Place Whole Hog, at Memphis In May 2015. I know his rubs are mixed with the freshest possible ingredients. The company that blends his rubs also mixes for the Restaurant I work at, the quality is excellent. If you don't like mixing your own or are just looking for something different you should check them out on Facebook, porkmafia.us
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: #porkmaphia rubs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 04:21:39 PM »
Brian,

After this smoke I would be interested to see which rub you liked the best. I am always trying new things and also like to give away sometime different each Xmas to employees and friends.

Thanks Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 04:30:09 PM »
I will let you know. Cant really compare one to the other as they are very different.

Simply explained Memphis Mud is a sweet red rub and Texas Gold is a Savory mustard(?) base with a kick. It will be a few hours until the Texas G Chicken is ready but tasting it prior to application I was impressed.

Phil told me sometimes he uses both on the same butt, for example Mud on the top and bottom and gold on the ends and sides.
- Sigmund Freud

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 06:54:12 PM »
So kind of mixed results. The Texas Gold has more back Heat after cooking than tasting it by its self. There may be some curry spices at play here but I am not going to try and pick it apart. Knowing the true flavor profile now, I over-seasoned the chicken it was too spicy for a few family members. However I think it would have been great with some white rice and a side of grilled veggies.

I removed the skin and pulled the meat from the bone. I made a simple sauce with mayo, sugar, vinegar and a diced Vidalia Onion. I made chicken salad style sandwiches from little dinner rolls. Those were loved by all. Great product just needs proper application. Hard to chose a favorite thy are so different and are very good.

If you like Memphis Dust you will like the Mud, it is better. If you like the mustard based Carolina sauces or Cattleman's Gold sauce you will very likely enjoy the Texas Gold. Regardless I believe you can order 2oz sample sizes and have your own tests.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:07:33 PM by Pork Belly »
- Sigmund Freud

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »
So kind of mixed results. The Texas Gold has more back Heat after cooking than tasting it by its self. There may be some curry spices at play here but I am not going to try and pick it apart. Knowing the true flavor profile now, I over-seasoned the chicken it was too spicy for a few family members. However I think it would have been great with some white rice and a side of grilled veggies.

I removed the skin and pulled the meat from the bone. I made a simple sauce with mayo, sugar, vinegar and a diced Vidalia Onion. I made chicken salad style sandwiches from little dinner rolls. Those were loved by all. Great product just needs proper application. Hard to chose a favorite thy are so different and are very good.

If you like Memphis Dust you will like the Mud it is better. If you like the mustard based Carolina sauces or Cattleman's Gold sauce you will likely enjoy the Texas Gold. Regardless I believe you can order 2oz sample sizes and have your own tests.

Looks like it turned out really good. I like spicy, but some family members think Ketchup is a hot sauce :)

I didn't know they had the 2 oz. samplers, sounds like a inexpensive way to try some new rubs.

Thanks Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 11:19:58 PM »
Don't see much curry seasoning in rubs Brian. It has a very strong and distinct flavor and is one many people don't like, including my wife...lol. I do like it and might try it just to see how "curried" it taste.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 07:57:17 PM »
I don't know if it is cury, I am not great at picking out flavors in rubs. It is good I just used too much.
- Sigmund Freud

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »
I just read this, "Texas Gold was created for beef and all things beef! Try it on your next brisket, shoulder clod, or chuck roast. Also a hit on burgers and steaks."

That statement was not on the package I had but is from the link to purchase the Texas Gold. Overall I'm happy with it and unlike a lot of rubs I have tasted, it tastes like nothing else out there and I wouldn't have a clue how to reproduce it. Last nights leftover were even better today.
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 11:33:36 PM »
That's all that counts, right? You like it!

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
Great site and thanks for sharing but ..............................where do you start considering there are so many rubs & sauces to choose from ......wow .
[I[I .............

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 11:52:40 PM »
Yes, there are many rubs out there. The ones referred to on the forum are good to start with. I think most of us just pick up something new each time we pass a rub rack in the store. After awhile, you read the ingredients and you will be able to tell what the flavor profile is. I also strongly recommend that you try making your own using the recipes from here and from other sites. Personally, I make most of my own now and adjust them to my liking. This has taught me a lot about rubs and it's real easy to do.

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 09:43:21 AM »
Not to be rude but personally I am not a very big fan of making my own rubs and really do not want to start .
[I[I .............

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:03:56 AM »
Not to be rude but personally I am not a very big fan of making my own rubs and really do not want to start
Unless you are frequently buying new spices, what is blended in house is never going to be as fresh as a commercial supplier.

Some folks like the measuring and mixing and I have done much of it myself. However I do have a strong preference for breaking open a new jar for some fresh new flavors.
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »
Hey, to each his own. I never thought I would make them either until I found out how easy it is and enjoyable for me. All my spices are fresh because I keep making new batches of rubs. Just my preference. I also keep a stock of jarred and packaged rubs.