Author Topic: Killer Hogs BDI Meat Injector  (Read 15707 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Killer Hogs BDI Meat Injector
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »
For years I have had the same injector and always hate the time it takes to refill. So when I saw this injector being using for a competition prep I had to buy one.

Video using the injector:
http://killerhogs.com/bdivideo/bdivideo.html

Here is a link if you are interested in buying one:
http://killerhogs.com/thebbqrub#iandm

I plan to use this first on a port butt  in the next few days and then on a brisket in the next week. I will let you know how it performs.

Greg

Barrel99

Re: Killer Hogs BDI Meat Injector
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »
That's a scary looking thing. Looks like you ready for an infusion.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:24:53 PM »
That's a scary looking thing. Looks like you ready for an infusion.

It's really cool, you fill a just with your marinade and then just inject away!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 08:34:44 AM »
Nice looking product.  I have not injected yet, but I am working up my nerve to try a brisket that might benefit from the injection.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 08:38:30 AM »
Nice looking product.  I have not injected yet, but I am working up my nerve to try a brisket that might benefit from the injection.

I am looking forward to trying this baby out. Right now I have a port butt in brine, tonight I will inject it and see how it works!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »
I would be curious to know your injection recipe as well. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 08:44:32 AM »
I would be curious to know your injection recipe as well.

I use Big Bo Gibson's recipe for port, but since I will be brining I will not add the salt or the sugar. Here is the recipe:

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 salt
2 T worcestershire

Heat until dissolved and allow to cool before injecting.

Greg

Carp210

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
Just watched the video now I have to decide.  I have on order a Stainless injector with two needles that got good reviews on Amazon and by member on the various BBQ web sites.   It has not arrived yet and I am considering returning it and ordering the BDI.  Can't wait to hear your review, the pros and cons.  I'm in a holding pattern.  Rib cook coming up tomorrow and brisket in the freezer with a pork butt on my shopping list.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »
Just watched the video now I have to decide.  I have on order a Stainless injector with two needles that got good reviews on Amazon and by member on the various BBQ web sites.   It has not arrived yet and I am considering returning it and ordering the BDI.  Can't wait to hear your review, the pros and cons.  I'm in a holding pattern.  Rib cook coming up tomorrow and brisket in the freezer with a pork butt on my shopping list.

Hey Gene,

I injected a 9-10 pork butt last night and man I was finished in about 5 minutes or less. Cleanup was super easy and overall I am really happy with this so far.

I have a brisket in the refrigerator I will try it on in a few days. Also I did buy a spare needle ($3.95) just in case!

Greg

DLRobinson

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 11:05:31 PM »
That is a pretty cool injector.  Looks like it would be MUCH easier to use than a traditional injector but they sure are proud of that thing.  $40 bucks for something that probably costs about $4 to make. 
David from Chesterton, IN
Model #4  Auber 1503GPH PID

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:02:16 AM »
That is a pretty cool injector.  Looks like it would be MUCH easier to use than a traditional injector but they sure are proud of that thing.  $40 bucks for something that probably costs about $4 to make.

It is a bit pricy, but once you use it, you will never use the Bayou Classic again. Also cleanup is simple and easy.

Greg

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 12:47:56 AM »
Hey Greg, have you looked at any of his videos on smoking meats. I really like the ones he has for brisket and also pork butt. He tries to push his rubs but also says to use your favorites. But, his timing is consistent with what we use for the SI. I am going to do my pork butt following his guide lines as far as going to an IT of 160 then wrapping in foil and finishing cooking to an IT of 195 - 205. He also mentions of using COMPART DUROC  pork products and they are really expensive. I really could not tell the difference in the color of the pork butt I purchased at Sam's club.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 04:56:22 PM »
I am going to do my pork butt following his guide lines as far as going to an IT of 160 then wrapping in foil and finishing cooking to an IT of 195 - 205.

Save your foil to wrap it in when resting.  Not necessary in our smokers.  The "Texas crutch" method is to speed the stall, and counter the drying effect of wood/charcoal heat sources.  Waste of time, on a butt in an SI, imo.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »
Was wanting to save some of the juices from the butt. That and to try something out of the norm. But, doubt very seriously if will do that again.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 08:50:38 PM »
It's more hassle than it's worth!  Besides, opening, foiling, blah, blah, really cuts into my Lazy Q lifestyle! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!