Author Topic: Pork Butt  (Read 9549 times)

Walt

Re: Pork Butt
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
For pulled pork @ 225 you should plan on 13 hours to cook (2 hrs/lb) + 2 hours to rest (wrapped in foil & place in ice chest with voids filled with towels). 
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »
I've cooked plenty of pork butts and had them done in an hour/pound but it definitely requires using the foil crutch about midway through and turning the heat up a bit. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »
Here is a link that describes the Texas Crutch

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/texas_crutch.html

Greg

es1025

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 12:19:27 PM »
I smoke my butt at 240. Most recipes call for between 225-240. I use an auber.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
JB - Get a remote thermometer!  Forgo all other accessories, but not this one!  It's absolutely "flying blind," unless you're always going to smoke ribs or wings.  Internal temperature of the meat is everything, with real BBQ.  You cannot effectively smoke something like a butt or brisket without knowing the internal temp of the meat.  You may get "lucky" once or twice, but that's what it will be - luck.  Every piece of meat cooks differently, so you can never say "a pork butt will take x-hours per pound, every time."  I usually average around an hour per pound, but have had some go almost 2 hours per pound!  Don't "guess," get a thermometer.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
Divot is right! LOL
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 07:42:26 AM »
+2 on the remote thermometer...absolutely essential for meats where an internal temp is needed before you pull it out.    The last butt that I did over the weekend required 1.4 hrs/lb, close to the 1.5 guide, but I have had them go longer, closer to 2hrs/lb, especially if I set the temp on the smoker closer to 225F instead of 240F.    The remote thermometer is critical to knowing when the butt has reached a good 195-200IT and is ready for the rest.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2