Author Topic: Bacon 1st shot  (Read 21647 times)

Barrel99

Re: Bacon 1st shot
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »
Man, that looks darn good to me Greg.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
Man, that looks darn good to me Greg.

Thanks Arnie,

When I told my wife I was going to make bacon she just looked at me an rolled her eyes :)

She then told me that you can buy bacon in the store.... I thought wow really.

Tomorrow night, may be BLT night if they taste good!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 05:31:49 PM »
You just have to wow her over with the smoking expertise of Greg!  She will forget about store bought bacon!   ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 06:18:09 PM »
You just have to wow her over with the smoking expertise of Greg!  She will forget about store bought bacon!   ;D

The good news is that she said it tasted good:)
Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 08:27:11 PM »
Great looking bacon, Greg! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 11:34:53 PM »
Good job Greg. I've been contemplating doing this myself so I'm still waiting to see your final results and if you believe it was "worth the effort" or if it's something you'd just do on special occasions or never again. It looks mighty fine by these first pictures to me.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 06:51:37 AM »
I sliced the bacon this morning, wasn't to bad about 15 minutes or so. In stead of slicing the bacon long way, I cut the belly in half and made smaller slice. The slices ended up just being the right length for a slice of bread.

The beginning weight of the belly was just slightly under 4 lbs., the final weight ended up being slightly over 2 lbs. I thick sliced the bacon and got about 55 slices out of it with a few smaller pieces at the end I will use in pork and beans.

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 11:08:12 PM »
I'm still waiting to see your final results and if you believe it was "worth the effort" or if it's something you'd just do on special occasions or never again

Bacon is not hard to make or really any effort at all. It is by far the easiest curing project you can attempt.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 06:22:46 AM »
I'm still waiting to see your final results and if you believe it was "worth the effort" or if it's something you'd just do on special occasions or never again

Bacon is not hard to make or really any effort at all. It is by far the easiest curing project you can attempt.

I agree with Brian making the bacon was easy, but only because Brian and a few others posted how they did it :)

As I said in my earlier post, my biggest obstacle was finding the belly. 

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 12:40:47 PM »
Good job Greg. I've been contemplating doing this myself so I'm still waiting to see your final results and if you believe it was "worth the effort" or if it's something you'd just do on special occasions or never again. It looks mighty fine by these first pictures to me.

Tony,

It was really easy I just had two obstacles. Find a belly, 40+ miles away and the be around to flip the darn thing every day, since I travel so much. Smoking the belly was easy and so was cutting it (need a sharp knife).

Is this the best bacon I have ever had... I would probably say no to that, but it is good tasting and I know how it was made.

I will give it another shot later this summer.

Greg

Give it a try, heck you should be able to find some good belly in Iowa.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
Thanks Greg-

I'll likely give it a try sometime. I'd think I should be able to find some good pork around here too but I haven't tried that hard to search for it.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 06:20:15 PM »
I gave some of my bacon to my neighbor friend who also smokes and he said the bacon was Awesome. They had it two days in a row....

I guess I am more critical of the stuff I make than others.

Greg

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »
Once you have had the real thing made at home from scratch, you are ruined.  :) There isn't a store brand anything like it.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 01:45:13 AM »
Hey Greg, have you tried RD for pork belly? I have been toying with the idea of making this. As I only have 2 packages left of the 15# I purchased at RD in June. I go thru a ton of bacon. But, as most say everything is better with bacon. I might try the buckboard bacon as have never seen pork bellies. Or might ask the butcher at Sam's if they have it or can order it for me. 
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »
Hey Greg, have you tried RD for pork belly? I have been toying with the idea of making this. As I only have 2 packages left of the 15# I purchased at RD in June. I go thru a ton of bacon. But, as most say everything is better with bacon. I might try the buckboard bacon as have never seen pork bellies. Or might ask the butcher at Sam's if they have it or can order it for me.

Hey Bill,

I didn't notice if they had pork belly at RD the last time I was there, I will have to check. I did buy a 5 lb. belly from the butcher last month and was planning on doing it with the grand kids. But we ran out of time, so once I get a week or so off the road, I will give it another try.

Greg