Author Topic: SI plus Dehydrator  (Read 3032 times)

ROC_BBQ

SI plus Dehydrator
« on: May 12, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
I have a dehydrator and have used it to make jerky. I have a new #1 but don't have a jerky fan. Is it possible to hit the meat with some smoke and then finish the drying in the dehydrator? I was thinking about smoking for 2 hours at 130-140 and then just finishing it in the dehydrator. Has anyone done this?
Jason - Rochester, NY
Model 1
Brinkman Charcoal

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: SI plus Dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 07:48:31 PM »
yes you can do it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:18:24 PM »
Hey Jason, let me know if this works for you. As I too have a dehydrator and was wondering about doing jerky this way. Also let me know how long you keep it in the dehydrator after smoking it. And was going to use Hi Mountain Jerky Cure & Seasoning Hickory Blend... Thanks for your help
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 09:33:13 PM »
Not a problem, at all, Jason!  Give it 2 solid hours of smoke, with the SI set to 145 (so you smoke, but not cook), then finish in the dehydrator at no more than 145.  When I smoke jerky, anything past the first 2 hours of smoke is just low-temp drying, so the dehydrator will work fine.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigfoot21075

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 03:41:47 PM »
I had been using my Excalibur Dehydrator with my #3 with AMAZING success. I fill the dehydrator with the Jerky and the smoker with a few wood chunks, I turn the smoker on high, and set the dehydrator on top of the smoker so the air intake of the dehydrator is right at the chimney opening for the smoker. I run the smoke for the first 2 or 3 hours and it comes out nice and smokey. The only minor down side is it has discolored the back of the dehydrator (I really do not care about this).....
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3