Author Topic: Smoked Wings  (Read 7932 times)

RG

Smoked Wings
« on: May 06, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »
Hi, this is RG's wife and I'm hijacking his account. Lol. I am wanting to smoke some wings on Mother's Day and was looking in y'alls recipe section but no one comments on the skin. For those who have done them, does the skin come out rubbery? Thanks!

PS- RG, you can punish me later.  :-*

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoked Wings
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »
Yes, when I have done wings, the skin is not crispy.  One way to address this is a quick shot on a high-temp grill when you are finished smoking.   I seem to recall that wings need about 3-3.5 hours in the smoker at 225, but the skin will be rubbery unless you either give a quick grill or pop them under a broiler.   Happy Mother's Day ... hope RG can pull it off for you.   ;)
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mizzoufan

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
While I haven't done wings specifically, that is a problem with the SI and chicken in general.  The easy fix is just to toss them on a grill or in an 500+ degree oven for a few minutes and the skin will crisp right up but you still get that SI smoked flavor.

Don't whoop her too bad, RG!
Steven from KCMO

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 11:14:41 AM »
Hi, this is RG's wife and I'm hijacking his account. Lol. I am wanting to smoke some wings on Mother's Day and was looking in y'alls recipe section but no one comments on the skin. For those who have done them, does the skin come out rubbery? Thanks!

PS- RG, you can punish me later.  :-*

Welcome,

Yes the skin will be rubbery, you will need to reverse sear them on a grill or finish them in the oven.

I did mine at 250 degrees for 2 hours and they were great, here is a link
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3040.0

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
Brine, rinse, flavor with favorite whatever, I use dry.

2 hours in the smoker @ 235 degrees

Finish on grill to crisp up skin.

Pretty easy and hard to mess up.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

RG

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:14:48 PM »
She's sneaky, lol. Oh well, looks like you guys pointed her in the right direction ;)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »
Hey, "Jason's wife!"  I hear you're quite the griller!  You should create your own profile here, and join in the fun! ;D   You could certainly be the "Yin" to Jason's "Yang," so to speak.  lol!  Sounds like we could learn a lot from you, just as we have from your hubby!

p.s. - Sorry, Jason.  Not trying to create a monster.  Hehehe! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 10:15:44 PM »
Make her cook them on mothers day.

Wait, that's just mean.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

H3

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 10:35:42 AM »
When I smoke wings I put them in a brine(1 cup kosher salt 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon) for 3-4 hours and use Jeff's rub. They do not come out rubbery at all. I wouldn't call them crispy, but its almost like the skin isn't there. It is just a holder for the rub and smoke flavor. I think the brine is the secret to doing great wings. When I used to do them on my Weber the skin would be tough but crispy. I found that Sam's Club has much better wings than any grocery store in my area.
Howard from Panama City Beach

RG

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »
When I smoke wings I put them in a brine(1 cup kosher salt 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon) for 3-4 hours and use Jeff's rub. They do not come out rubbery at all. I wouldn't call them crispy, but its almost like the skin isn't there. It is just a holder for the rub and smoke flavor. I think the brine is the secret to doing great wings. When I used to do them on my Weber the skin would be tough but crispy. I found that Sam's Club has much better wings than any grocery store in my area.

I'll have to run by Sams then, thanks for the tip!

Make her cook them on mothers day.

Wait, that's just mean.

She loves it! ;)

Hey, "Jason's wife!"  I hear you're quite the griller!  You should create your own profile here, and join in the fun! ;D   You could certainly be the "Yin" to Jason's "Yang," so to speak.  lol!  Sounds like we could learn a lot from you, just as we have from your hubby!

p.s. - Sorry, Jason.  Not trying to create a monster.  Hehehe! ;)

It wouldn't be the first time, she used to lurk on the Keg forum and one day made an account. She's as much or even more a part of that forum as I am. She's sassy though, I don't know if y'all can handle her, lol :o

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 02:03:43 PM »
 :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
She's sassy though, I don't know if y'all can handle her, lol :o

Bring it on!  We love sassy around here! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

RG

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 09:20:07 AM »
Hey! Mrs RG here. I better not make my own account cuz I'm not sure our marriage could take it. Lol!!! Thanks for the invite. Thanks for the tips on the wings as well.

PS- I'll probably will end up cooking them. That's just how I roll. ;D

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 08:25:20 PM »
Stop by anytime, Mrs RG!  lol!  Knowing your first name would make it more fun, though! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

RG

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 12:53:17 PM »
Stop by anytime, Mrs RG!  lol!  Knowing your first name would make it more fun, though! ;)

Thank you. My name is Stephanie. My friends call me Stephanie.  :)