Author Topic: chicken little.......as in effort  (Read 2617 times)

smokinfan

• hello smokers! Brad, nice to meet ya!
chicken little.......as in effort
« on: May 06, 2015, 02:49:42 AM »
I have noticed that most brine birds before smoking. Thought si was for effortless smoking? Is the threat of a dry bird that great? I prefer simple rubs on pork and beef because its the smoke flavor I want. I wouldn't want a brine that adds a citrus or spicey flavor. If I have to brine....what's simple?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: chicken little.......as in effort
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 07:35:18 AM »
My brine is simply 1 gallon of water, 1 cup Kosher salt, and 1 cup dark brown sugar.    I brine all poultry, but you can always try it both ways (brine one bird and not the other) and see if you notice a difference.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:16:25 AM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Limey

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »
You could always try a dry brine-simply rub a mixture of kosher salt and ground pepper over the bird and inside the cavity. I find this works pretty well if I'm in a hurry or feeling particularly lazy.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:38:28 PM »
I do exactly what Steve does. A simple brine that adds little to no real flavor but keeps it juicy. Add spices if you want.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »
I have noticed that most brine birds before smoking. Thought si was for effortless smoking? Is the threat of a dry bird that great? I prefer simple rubs on pork and beef because its the smoke flavor I want. I wouldn't want a brine that adds a citrus or spicey flavor. If I have to brine....what's simple?

One of my first smokes I did not brine and the chicken and it tasted great.

The next time I brinned and the chicken was the juiciest chicken I have ever had.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
Fan,

Brining can add a great flavor profile, but the main reason is to modify the protein molecules, at the surface of the meat, to "trick" the meat into retaining moisture.  Read this primer on brining, and see if it makes sense:

Brining 101

Yes, this is "Lazy Q" at it's finest, but brining is a part of prep work.  What we mean by "Lazy Q" is not having to tend the smoker 24/7.  We can focus on the critical prep work that really makes a difference!  Brining is actually very simple, and really not time-consuming (unless you want to sit in the fridge with it for a few hours) ;)   Seriously...takes very little time to make a brine and put the meat in it, and the brine time is "hands free," so to speak!  Believe me, once you try it, you'll be hooked!  Oh, and don't knock the flavor profiles you can infuse in the meat until you try them; you might just be surprised!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

pargolfr2003

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 07:14:31 AM »
I think it really all depends on personal preference. I've tried both and got good results with both though the brined birds are definitely juicier. If you don't want the hassle of making a brine then don't sweat it, but I'd be willing to bet if you tried brining once you'd be hooked. I'll never smoke another bird without brining it. Admittedly, I enjoy the prep process so there's no downside for me, but I certainly understand that some don't. Bottom line, it can be as labor intensive or as hands off as you want and you can put out good food with either technique.
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine