Author Topic: How to get that smokey taste  (Read 3111 times)

1proudnanny

How to get that smokey taste
« on: May 05, 2015, 06:19:49 PM »
I previously had another electric smoker, and while not as well built, it did produce a wonderful smoky flavor that I've been unable to get with my Smokin-It smoker.  I've tried various flavors of wood chips.  I've tried using more than recommended.  I've even tried putting a couple of charcoal squares in with the wood chips...someone told me that might help.  So far, nothing has helped.  This smoker gets wonderful reviews, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, just don't know what.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: How to get that smokey taste
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:56:22 PM »
Hi ProudNanny!  Hmm...now this is a comment I don't think I've ever heard before!  I've eaten, and made an awful lot of BBQ, and have never been dissatisfied with the level of "smokiness" from the SI.  Could it be that you are accustomed to over-smoked food?  And, when you say "I've tried using more than recommended," what does that mean?  Do you weigh your wood?  Also, what kind of wood are you using, and what have you been smoking that wasn't smoky enough?

The more details you can give, the better we can help.  We'll figure this out together!

When you smoke meat, it really only absorbs smoke until the internal temp hits about 140.  After that, the smoke really just piles up on the surface (kind of like the walls of your smoker).  I wasn't trying to be smart when I asked if you were used to over-smoked food; that is a very common thing, as a lot of folks believe you need the smoke rolling the entire cook, even if it's 12 hours! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

Re: How to get that smokey taste
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 07:59:31 PM »
Hmmm.

Once on my maiden smoke I over smoked the heck out of the ribs... User error!!!!!!!

Never heard of not enough smoke flavor.

Type of wood and weight seem like the variables in question.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!