Author Topic: Smokin It Temp  (Read 3826 times)

BBQBOB13

Smokin It Temp
« on: May 03, 2015, 10:29:46 AM »
Second time using my Smokin It smoker.  I have a probe in the smoker to track the internal temp of smoker.  The smoker seems to shut off and the temp lowers and then I mess with the temp dial and something clicks and the temp rises.  I have not had the temp remain steady at the 225 I am wanting.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Smokin It Temp
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »
The temp won't remain constant at 225 because of the analog controller.   The SIs will heat to a point above your set temp, and then shut off (the click you heard) and cool to a point below your set temp at which point the unit will turn back on (the click again).   Most of us see temp swings in the +/- 15 to 25 degree range, so for a set temp of 225F, you might see smoker box temps ranging from 200 to 250 (+/-25).  Not a problem, though, as the SI will average out at 225.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BBQBOB13

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 10:01:09 PM »
thanks for the reply Steve, however, my temp swings were always under the temp I wanted to achieve, 225.  My temps would go as high as maybe 220 then go down to approx 205 and back up to around the 220 point so it wasn't averaging out to the 225 I was looking for.  I had 3 racks of ribs on totaling 9 pounds.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 07:50:09 AM »
Some folks have re-adjusted their control knob to align it with the temp settings...I don't recall how to do it, but perhaps you can search the site for control knob to find those posts.   This is one post that might help:  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1219.0
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:12:00 AM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:40:19 AM »
I have a probe in the smoker to track the internal temp of smoker.

Don't do this it only causes frustration. Trust the dial as pretty damn close and roll with it. I do not believe anyone here can tell the difference between a rib cooked at 225 or 220. Crank the temp you want and calculate time of cook, this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 09:53:57 PM »
Crank the temp you want and calculate time of cook, this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

+1!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »
+2
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »
+3. Don't over think this Bob! Smoking time is time for naps, movies, a nice red Zinfandel, and about anything else you like to do!  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN