Author Topic: Wood sources  (Read 6527 times)

teleskier

Wood sources
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »
First, I apologize if this is not the appropriate section to ask this and the mods will probably move the topic if that is the case.

My SI2 will be here Monday and I will be anxious to get my first meal going. My question is where to all of you find the best quality of wood chunks, best pricing and selection.  I assume you don't use store bought bags of chunks since there is no telling how old they are and dried out.

Thanks in advance.
SI#2, Maverick dual wireless probes.
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

Barrel99

Re: Wood sources
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:17:40 PM »
There are two online suppliers many of us use. First is Fruitawood and the other is Maine Grilling Woods. They are both good, and I'm sure each of us has a favorite. Mine is MGW. Hickory, apple, and cherry are probably the most popular favors.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

teleskier

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:27:46 PM »
Thank you. Those are the two I have bookmarked already. Great minds must think alike.
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:01:29 AM »
Glad your on top of it Mike. Best of luck with the new box.

BTW, you will get some wood with the smoker. Enough for seasoning and there should be enough for some smoking as well. Probably hickory.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Trip

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »
I went with the 3 wood sampler on fruitawood in cookshack cut for my first shipment.  Seems like an easy way to get a few good smokes.  I did hickory, apple, and post oak.  Got it fast too.

I wonder if anyone has tried the bourbon barrels.  I have been to the jack daniels distillery a few times and those barrels smell amazing.

teleskier

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.

Mike from California

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 05:16:35 PM »
I have used fruitawood and MGW.     Fruitawood ships in larger quantities than MGW, so you will have a lot of wood for a long time.   I tried the MGW sampler package and will be going back to them soon to order additional hickory and cherry, among others.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 10:36:15 PM »
What they said... and, I'm moving this to the "What Tree Do you Use" section. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

Re: Wood sources +Smokin’ Hot
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »
teleskier,

Congrats on the SI-2 You will be pleased, I'm luvin mine.. I Just received my order from Smokin’ Hot,  http://www.smokinhotchipsandchunks.com/  These guys are on the Left Coast as you are.

This is not an indorsement as I have not used any yet but wanted some Red Alder for fish, etc. I can say that Shipping was fast and free.  ;)

From their web site: "Alder is found mostly in the Northwestern States.  We provide Red Alder wood which is native to the Pacific Northwest.  It is a very delicate wood that contains natural sugars which provides a hint of sweetness.  Red Alder has been used for hundreds of years to smoke fish by the Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest.  Alder provides the perfect taste for fish such as salmon, sturgeon and rainbow trout.  It can also be used to smoke pork, beef and poultry."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:43:25 PM by 1stlink »

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
Thanks for a new wood link, Ralph!  I'll have to check them out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

1stlink

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
 No problem I hope to give an update in a few days as I have a plump chicken that is begging to be smoked.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Wood sources +Smokin’ Hot
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 05:16:44 PM »
teleskier,

Congrats on the SI-2 You will be pleased, I'm luvin mine.. I Just received my order from Smokin’ Hot,  http://www.smokinhotchipsandchunks.com/  These guys are on the Left Coast as you are.

This is not an indorsement as I have not used any yet but wanted some Red Alder for fish, etc. I can say that Shipping was fast and free.  ;)

From their web site: "Alder is found mostly in the Northwestern States.  We provide Red Alder wood which is native to the Pacific Northwest.  It is a very delicate wood that contains natural sugars which provides a hint of sweetness.  Red Alder has been used for hundreds of years to smoke fish by the Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest.  Alder provides the perfect taste for fish such as salmon, sturgeon and rainbow trout.  It can also be used to smoke pork, beef and poultry."

The prices looks good $15.99 for 5 lbs and free shipping!

Wish they would do a mix like Maine.

Greg
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:24:43 PM by gregbooras »

1stlink

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 06:08:27 PM »
I don't expect them to continue with that pricing policy. I did a UPS price check and it comes up to more($20) than the total price that I paid. WA to FL is a long way and UPS charges by distance (zones)
I should order more but I'm afraid it will dry out too much before I use it..  :-\

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 11:11:08 PM »
I should order more but I'm afraid it will dry out too much before I use it..  :-\

Order more, and vacuum seal it (if you have one).  The only thing that twinges me about this company is that they only have alder, ash, cherry and maple chunks.  Very limited selection.  Good price for 5 lbs, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas

1stlink

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 08:04:18 AM »
Yep, very limited product line but good prices. I'm thinking that I'll order a 10 lb box ($23 delivered) and try vacuum packing most of it.