Author Topic: What's This Seasoning  (Read 4124 times)

Grampy

What's This Seasoning
« on: April 08, 2015, 12:56:37 PM »
Here are a couple of rubs that i like to use on just about anything. It is made in Newport, AR by Jesse D. Simmons. Their website is http://whatsthisseasoning.com Their shipping is high but I really like these rubs.

Jesse D. Simmons, son of a share-cropper, was born and raised in Augusta, Arkansas. He learned what it was to work at a very tender age of twelve picking and chopping cotton. His first public job at age 16 lasting a span of 10 years, was in the local grocery store, thus instilling a foundation for his desire in later years to create his own recipe of an all purpose dry seasoning. After two and a half years with the Arkansas Game and Fish, he got into the tool business, first with Snap-on-Tools lasting almost twenty years and then he started his own business, Arkansas Tool Care, Inc. in 1990.

In 1991 he started selling that product to customers on his tool route, friends and family members. As time went on friends and customers suggested that he should develop some kind of a BBQ rub and/or dry seasoning with a different kind of taste along with a spray marinade. It took him over a year to get the dry seasoning, “What’s This!” on the market. “It just takes a long time to get it exactly how you want it to be”, he remarks. “I have been asked by people from Florida to Oklahoma to create other products, but have chosen now not to do so. I never wanted to get big – just something to play around on Saturdays."
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: What's This Seasoning
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:31:25 PM »
Rub from an Arkansas company?  I'll just have to try that!  I see he offers the original with no MSG - bonus! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 11:24:16 AM »
Rub from an Arkansas company?  I'll just have to try that!  I see he offers the original with no MSG - bonus! 8)
I have tried all of their rubs and I like the original the best. I usually buy 3-4 of the 11 oz bottles at a time so they will last awhile since their shipping is so high.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »
I run into the high shipping problem with my favorite beef rub - Jim Baldrige's Secret Seasoning (check it out Here).  That's why I buy it in bulk!  This a small family-owned/run company in Nebraska.  Best steak seasoning I've ever had!  Love the small companies!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »
I run into the high shipping problem with my favorite beef rub - Jim Baldrige's Secret Seasoning (check it out Here).  That's why I buy it in bulk!  This a small family-owned/run company in Nebraska.  Best steak seasoning I've ever had!  Love the small companies!
So ..................................is it really that good and have you tried it on Pork ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:40:00 AM by OFFSHORE GINGER »
[I[I .............

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 06:41:34 PM »
So ..................................is it really is that good and have you tried it on Pork ?

Surprisingly, I have not tried it on pork.  The flavor profile, at least for me, suits beef.  I like sweeter rubs on pork, so I haven't used Baldridge on pork.  But, it is unbelievable on potatoes!  Whether fried, or coated on a baker, it's awesome.
Tony from NW Arkansas