Author Topic: First attempt at smoked salmon was a success  (Read 17726 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: First attempt at smoked salmon was a success
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »
Being a salmon fisherman, I can't bring myself to eat processed salmon.  Oddly, I don't like my fish to taste like fish and the only way to insure that is to eat it fresh caught. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

1stlink

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 12:21:05 PM »
"Smoked ~100º-125º for first 2 hours, then ~140º-145º for the next 2 hours, and 175º till finished"

Tony, How did you keep/hold those temps? I did a couple of practice runs and both times the temps climbed well over 150. Both times I only used the element until I had smoke from chips and then turned it off but temp kept rising from chips smoldering. Ambient temp was about 82..  ???

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 12:46:43 AM »
"Smoked ~100º-125º for first 2 hours, then ~140º-145º for the next 2 hours, and 175º till finished"

Tony, How did you keep/hold those temps? I did a couple of practice runs and both times the temps climbed well over 150. Both times I only used the element until I had smoke from chips and then turned it off but temp kept rising from chips smoldering. Ambient temp was about 82..  ???

Trade Secret? :-) Actually, I forgot to mention I have a cold plate I used to block the heat. I also have a pid controller that I can change the temp from my cell phone at a couple button presses.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 05:59:19 PM »
Just curious after viewing the Vid I noticed his cook time was 2 hours @ 150 why did you cook your Salmon so long , and not to mention that this is a must cook recipe in my opinion .
[I[I .............

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2015, 10:55:13 PM »
I was cold smoking to get it exposed to more smoke. I cooked it till IT reached the zone I wanted.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA