Author Topic: #2  (Read 5671 times)

nervegna

« on: April 01, 2015, 11:18:34 AM »
Hi,

Have a #2 and so far lots of success with ribs and shoulders.

Made venison kielbasa this weekend and worked well too even though has to finish in oven.

What thermometers do you guys use to confirm internal smoker temp's?

Has anyone drilled 1/4 inch hole to stick one straight in the side?

Do you guys scrub the sensor to keep it clean for better temp regulation or do you find it works fine blackened like the rest of the inside?

Thanks,
noob Tim

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: #2
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:45:56 PM »
Hey Tim,

I like Mavericks, either the ET-732 or 733.  The 735 has Bluetooth, but seems to be having "new model" growing pain issues - I'd wait a bit on that one.  Just drop the probes through the top vent hole (I call it the "blow hole") - no need to drill any holes!  Yes, clean the probes with each use, just be sure to not submerge them in water, or you'll ruin them.  One thing I like to do with new probes is to add a little high-temp RTV sealant around the top, where the wire enters the probe.  This will help moisture from getting inside, and make them last a lot longer.

If you ever go with a controller like the Auber PID, you'll have meat and box probes built-in, so you won't need a separate thermometer.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 07:55:33 PM »
Hey Tim,

I have a #2 and could not be happier with the results. After trying 4 different thermometers right now I have the 733, the range is good and the temp seems right on.

I am a techie guy and really over think most things, but with this smoker, keeping it simple really works well.

Greg 

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:49:43 PM »
I didn't mention it, but I have the 732.  It's been a real trooper - always up to the task, and never a problem!  Basic?  Yes.  Reliable?  ABSOLUTELY!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 11:54:21 PM »
Anyone have a comment on Tims question about cleaning the probe? Mine is black and seems to work fine, but one of the experts here might shed some more light on it.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

nervegna

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:25:16 AM »
Thanks for the responses I will check out the maverick - had the thermoworks chefalarm in my amazon wishlist for meat doneness

Do you use the mavericks for the smoker temp or meat?

I seemed to have wider than comfortable temp swings with the #2, almost like flareups when adding the apple wood chunk although I did not touch the smoker box to verify this???

I am in no rush smoking meat, but especially when trying not to have the fat melt away on some venison sausage, get real anxious with the smoker overheating.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:10:20 PM »
Glad to have you with us, nervegna.  When you can, head over to the "Introductions" section and tell us a little about yourself (smoking background and such).  Also, a first name and town in your signature line is a nice touch - good to know who our new friends are! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »
Arnie...Just saw your post from early April...Divot mentioned earlier in the thread that he cleans the probe after each use.    I clean the box temp probe maybe every 4-5 smokes.  I am not sure if the smoke/etc that builds up on the probe will effect the temp readings, but I have noticed that I get strange readings (lower than expected) when I have not cleaned the probe.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 07:28:23 PM »
Anyone have a comment on Tims question about cleaning the probe? Mine is black and seems to work fine, but one of the experts here might shed some more light on it.

Arnie, I hold the probe by the base, where it meets the wire, and only put the probe part, that isn't under my fingers, under a running hot faucet to wet it.  I use a small Scotchbrite pad to scrub the black off, and rinse the sharp end again.  Cleans easy, and I've very careful not to get the water in the wire end.  I don't worry about cleaning that part, or the wire - just the part that goes in the meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 05:34:29 PM »
Thanks Tony. I  think Tim was referring to the internal box probe.  I don't like it black. I use Windex on a paper towel and clean it after every smoke. Takes a few seconds.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 10:00:14 PM »
Thanks Tony. I  think Tim was referring to the internal box probe.  I don't like it black. I use Windex on a paper towel and clean it after every smoke. Takes a few seconds.

Gotcha, Bob...thought he meant the meat probe.  :-[   I clean my box probe the same way, less the running water.  I couple of quick wipes with a wet Scotchbrite pad, and good to go!
Tony from NW Arkansas