Author Topic: Geaux Vols?  (Read 7384 times)

Trip

Geaux Vols?
« on: April 01, 2015, 08:56:03 AM »
Hi, my name is Nick, but go by Trip for the most part.  I should be getting a #3 on Thursday as long as UPS doesn't screw the pooch.  I had a nice long and agonizing decision on what smoker to get that was posted up at smokingmeatforums where I decided to go with the SI3 thanks to oldsarge's help.

I'm in Gig City aka Chattanooga, TN.  Originally from the New Orleans area, which should explain my thread subject.  I like being able to claim that I am from further south Louisiana than any person on Swamp People.

Been boiling crawfish and frying turkeys for awhile now, have pretty much no smoking experience.  Decided to make a switch to an oil-less turkey "fryer" last year to try and eat a bit healthier.   It had a little wood chip drawer and I have done some other things in it besides turkeys and things have come out pretty good in it for what it is, so I decided to make the leap to a full blown smoker.  I am a huge Texas brisket fan stuck in the land of pork BBQ, so I can't wait to try and get some decent brisket from my own creation.

I'm an EE by trade in power generation, the heatermeter thread definitely has my interest.  I want to be able to control this thing from my tablet over wifi.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:57:41 AM by Trip »

Shmokan

Re: Geaux Vols?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
Hey Trip, Newbie here myself. I'm very happy with mine with only one smoke under my belt with ribs I think some beef brisket will be in my near future. Spent some time in your area a few years back taking some flying lessons with Mike Theeke at Marion Co airport. and Lookout Mt. ...... Beautiful area. Enjoy your smoker !
Brad from Wisconsin

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

Kaz

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Welcome from Pgh, you made a good choice! I hope the weather is good down in the Noog, we're actually heading down there shortly.
Kaz - Pittsburgh, PA

jbauch357

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »
Welcome aboard!

I've been attempting to produce a good brisket for about 5 years, and failed miserably every time.  My first brisket on my SI #2 was a great success, feedback from the forum played a big role in that too.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »
Welcome from Delaware, Trip!   You made a good choice in the #3 and I know you will be happy with the smokes!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:48 PM »
welcome from AZ.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TARDISgirl

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »
welcome from AZ.
Second that, Trip!  :)
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »
Good to have you with us, Trip!  No worries about making great brisket in the land of pork Q!  You'll love what you can do in the #3, and if you hang with us, we'll make you a Pit Master in no time flat!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Trip

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

It's been a depressing couple of days, but definitely have gotten excellent speedy customer service in the face of that disappointment.  I will be a little less cryptic when it is resolved.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:30:21 PM »
Hey Nick,

Welcome, my wife loves the Swamp People shows, me it's OK.

You will be impressed with your new smoker, not only is it built well but the end results are amazing.

Time time to read as many as the forum threads as possible and don't be shy about asking advice from folks that have done it before.

Greg

Trip

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 07:25:25 PM »
Well, here is the rest of my story.  Got my second #3 in today and this one is breaking in as I type this, up to temp and running just fine...  Finally, YEY!

First one came in last Thursday with one of the rack holder pins broke off.  Talked to Steve that night while I was sitting there depressed and he got me a new one headed my way the next day.  Most likely due to some rough UPS shipping with the racks in place during shipping.  My new one was sitting sideways in front of my garage door when I got home.  Doubt the delivery guys like dealing with these heavy packages.  No telling what hell it went through, but they are packaged pretty well, so I didn't notice any damage on the new one.  He sent a shipping label for the old one with the new one, so I can get it back to him.  Very good guy, supported his product very well.  Can't wait to put some food in this thing.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 07:33:21 PM »
Well, here is the rest of my story.  Got my second #3 in today and this one is breaking in as I type this, up to temp and running just fine...  Finally, YEY!

First one came in last Thursday with one of the rack holder pins broke off.  Talked to Steve that night while I was sitting there depressed and he got me a new one headed my way the next day.  Most likely due to some rough UPS shipping with the racks in place during shipping.  My new one was sitting sideways in front of my garage door when I got home.  Doubt the delivery guys like dealing with these heavy packages.  No telling what hell it went through, but they are packaged pretty well, so I didn't notice any damage on the new one.  He sent a shipping label for the old one with the new one, so I can get it back to him.  Very good guy, supported his product very well.  Can't wait to put some food in this thing.

I agree Steve is a great business man and can be trusted.

Glad you finally have smoker!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »
Another testament to why we're all thriving here, Trip!  I've known Steve for a couple of years, and there's no one better.  He and Rebecca (his wife), and Ben Hamel (the IT guy) take customer service more seriously than anyone I've ever known, and will do a great deal (more than necessary sometimes) to make folks happy.  Good news on your new smoker - thanks for sharing your experience!  Now get to smoking something!! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Trip

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »
I had no idea where to put this update...  Here, beef, gadgets, SI3...  lol

First smoke pretty much ever, went with a brisket.  Came out pretty tasty.  Not the close to the best I ever had, but a pretty decent start to my smoking career.  Ran it pretty much in stock mode for most of the night.  I got my heatermeter done and tested some, it shall be ready next time.  Trying to figure out static ip, so I can put it online right now.

Still waiting on my printed case for my heatermeter.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:25:07 PM by Trip »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
Good to hear that Steve's customer service is alive, well, and speedy. And that is a nice looking brisket!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus