Author Topic: 1st on the #1  (Read 2399 times)

Shmokan

1st on the #1
« on: March 30, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »
Well 1st go at it I'll chalk up as a success. After a 5hr break in I decided to do some St Louis baby backs. Did two full racks plus bottom rack with potatoes. 1 full rack cut in half fills up 1 shelf. Did the mustard and rub and into the fridge for about 18hrs. Were slightly chilled yet when put into the smoker, Potatoes (5) were nuked together for about 4 min (just to warm them up and give them a start) plus 3 oz. of hickory. 6 hours later (@235deg no peek) they were fall of the bone done. Let rest for an hour........ Awesome flavor! Sorry no picks was too busy eating. For the next round (to be picky) I will cut back half to 1 hour and go 2.5 oz on the wood because there was Plenty of smoke flavor and almost too much "fall off the bone". Don't have any heat probes yet (can't decide which one is more usable) I'm thinking of an Auber. I do believe I have made a good choice for my long awaited 1st smoker. Thanks guys this forum helped with my decision.
Brad
Brad from Wisconsin

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: 1st on the #1
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:03:29 PM »
Way to go, Brad!  Congrats on getting the first smoke under your belt.   For the next time, I agree that you should be able to cut back on the time, especially at 235F.  Five to 5.5 hours should be plenty.   I also like your idea of nuking the potatoes for a few minutes to get them started...I bet they were nice and tasty after 6 hours!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 10:27:09 PM »
Nice choice, enjoy!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:10:32 PM »
Good job, Brad! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 11:25:42 PM »
Terrific start Brad.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!