Author Topic: Biggest cheese smoke to date  (Read 11147 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Biggest cheese smoke to date
« on: March 14, 2015, 10:05:46 AM »
One of the problem with giving friends, neighbors and co-workers samples is getting all the orders for more.  This morning I'm doing 32 lbs. of various cheeses.  Since my last smoke went so flawlessly, I'm posting my set up.

Ditch the heavy gauge wood pan for something that will heat up quickly. Alum. pie plate for me.

Ceramic tile, sand and ice.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Biggest cheese smoke to date
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
That cool if they are buying the cheese....
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:21:30 AM »
That cool if they are buying the cheese....
The ones that can, I ask to just bring me the cheese and donate a couple bucks for supplies.  Some, I've offered to buy the cheese when I buy my own and have them reimburse me.  I'm not making a real profit but on my way to becoming an office legend.  LOL!!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »
Starting temp this morning was 48 degrees.  I've been running 40 minutes at 250 and cheese zone is currently 57 degrees.  This system works perfect. 

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 11:52:08 AM »
32 lbs of smoked cheese later:

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 02:10:48 PM »
Another awesome cheese smoke Dave! How long did you end up going?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
One hour.  My first smoke was an hour and the second smoke was 1.5 hours.  I thought the second batch was good for eating on sandwiches but just a little too smoky to enjoy out of the hand.  So, I'm trying 1 hour again to see if that is the magic time for this, my third cheese smoke. 

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 03:22:56 PM »
Looks great Dave. I can't quite make out the set up though. Is the pie tin on the element supports?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »
Arnie, the pie tin is on the element itself.  I hit the chips with my propane torch before setting it in the smoker so I'm starting with smoke before the heat has even been turned on.  When I do turn the heat on, it just keeps things going with no lag in heat up time. 

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
Added note of experience from today's smoke, I was so loaded that some of the blocks of cheese were outside the protection of the ice pan.  I could see that they were just starting to show some signs of heat impact.  Luckily, this isn't a long duration smoke so there was no damage but I learned there is value in keeping the cheese directly over the protection of the ice pan.  This might not be an issue for anyone but one with a model 4. 

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 05:40:42 PM »
I am starting to use the torch to start some wood as well. It has its advantages for a low temp smoke.

I didn't think you could put anything directly on the heater element. Guess I was wrong. Interesting. The #4 seems to have a much larger element than the #3.

So the cheese sits on the grate directly above the ice tray? I guess the tile is to prevent heat from getting to the ice tray. Do you add ice at all during the smoke?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »
No need to add ice during the smoke and in fact the ice is in good enough shape at the end of the first smoke, that I could easily do a second and maybe 3rd smoke.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 12:38:46 PM »
2 weeks and testing this batch. For my smoker and taste, I think this will be my formula from here on out.  2 ounces of wood for an hour.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:42:52 PM by SuperDave »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »
Nice job, indeed, Dave!  Gotta love the smoked cheese - especially when you "perfect" the formula! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »
While day time temps have started to hit 80 here, the mornings are still in the high 40's.  I'm going to make another couple of batches tomorrow.  I wonder what the highest ambient temps I could still get a smoke done in?