Author Topic: North Carolina vinegar based bbq sauce?  (Read 5809 times)

jlightning

North Carolina vinegar based bbq sauce?
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »
I have tried at least 4 different recipies of the North Carolina vinegar based bbq sauce and can't seem to replicate what I had at a local bbq restaurant a few years ago.  Does anyone have a recipe that will make my pig sing?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: North Carolina vinegar based bbq sauce?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 06:34:16 PM »
J, I call this a "St Louis-style" sauce, but is a sweet & sassy vinegar-based sauce.  Might give it a try, and see if you would modify it.

St Louis BBQ Sauce
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jbeckler

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 07:52:18 PM »
I have alot of family in NC and this is a recipe I found on Allrecipe....it's pretty close to what I've tasted down there.

1 cup white vinegar 1 cup cider vinegar 1 tablespoon brown sugar 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™), or to taste 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon ground black pepper Add all ingredients to list
Directions
Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:00:07 PM by jbeckler »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:22:06 PM »
I have tried at least 4 different recipies of the North Carolina vinegar based bbq sauce and can't seem to replicate what I had at a local bbq restaurant a few years ago.  Does anyone have a recipe that will make my pig sing?

This is a sauce I have developed over 10 years and I have only shared it here, I think you will like it!

BBQ Sauce

Ingredients
•   2 cups Ketchup
•   1 t Garlic Powder
•   1 t Onion Powder
•   ½ cup Brown Sugar
•   1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar 
•   1 ¼ cup Apple Juice
•   2 T Yellow Mustard
•   ½ t Cayenne Pepper
•   2 T Lemon Juice
•   2 T Tamarind – Date Sweet & Sour Sauce  (Find Indian Grocery Store)
•   ½ cup bourbon whiskey
•   1 T liquid smoke
•   ¼  t black pepper
•   ½ t sea salt
•   6 oz Cento tomato paste

Directions
Mix all ingredients together and bring to a boil, then simmer in a saucepan for 30 minutes. Allow to cool and then store in refrigerator. Flavor will improve overnight. This will keep for a month or two in the refrigerator.

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:38:12 PM »
Thank you Greg. We do appreciate your recipe and sharing it with us. I will be trying it. That's what's great about this forum, we all share some wonderful secrets and ideas here.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:00:49 AM »
Thank you Greg. We do appreciate your recipe and sharing it with us. I will be trying it. That's what's great about this forum, we all share some wonderful secrets and ideas here.

Hey Arnie,

I used to live in Palm Beach now in Saint Augustine, we are almost neighbors :)

Let me know what you think of the sauce, always open to suggestions. Heck my pizza recipe I have been tweaking for over 20 years, but it really good.

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 10:15:13 PM »
Hey Greg. Love St. Augustine. Hope to get up there for a few days soon to be a tourist. Looking forward to trying the sauce.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 02:46:53 AM »
Hey Greg. Love St. Augustine. Hope to get up there for a few days soon to be a tourist. Looking forward to trying the sauce.

Arnie,

I travel a lot, but if I am in town maybe we could do lunch!

Drop me a line.

Greg

VintonVa

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 10:50:04 PM »
Living in Goldsboro, NC and enjoying whole hog bbq.  My sauce is 1/2 gallon apple cider vinegar steeped with crushed red peppers.  (Add to your desired level of heat)  Cool and chop into pork shoulders 225 @2 hrs per pound plus 1/2 hour, along with your favorite rub.  Enjoy!
William
Owner of a #2