Author Topic: cover for smoker while smoking  (Read 14590 times)

paidin

Re: cover for smoker while smoking
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 06:16:14 PM »
I bought some 1/4" cable clamps and attached them with the upper screws on the tops of our smokers.  This will allow me to bungee a cover on top of the smoker for when it is raining.  Now I have to find a cover that is large enough and rigid enough to cover the entire top from rain.  I bought an under the bed container but it is just slightly too small to fit a rack for cleaning and thus too small to cover the top of the smoker :(

On a plus note, the cable clamp is the correct size to "plug" in the auber probe to keep it from laying on the ground when I have it in storage.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

LTS

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »
  Hey Paidlin  I think you are on to something with the 1/4 clips I was thinking of a hood or like a scoop on a car hood, but have the opening at the back put the 1/4 clips on it then you could just slide a 1/4 " pin through which would hold it in place. I live in a retirement comm. and have the similar issues you have. I try to stay low key because I am on the corner, and I have a #1, #4 and a webber gas grill.  Thanks  Paul  (LTS)

paidin

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »
those clips are working well for me so far and they are out of the way when I put the cover on the smoker.  I like the flexibility they provide for anchor points
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 10:45:06 PM »
Tony, talk about pimping your smoker! That is a serious piece of work, I love what you did with the finish. Totally sweet. 

It would also look totally awesome in a candy apple red as well.

You took your smoker to a whole new level.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 07:30:20 PM »
Thanks Tony!  It cleans really easy, too - quick wipe with a wet rag!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »
I doubt that rain will affect the SI Paidin. Now the Auber is another story..... They don't have a very good moisture barrier.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

paidin

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 09:34:20 AM »
one thing that really helped me is that using the smoker has really made it dirty.  smoke and soot laden fat coating the top and sides of the smoker and its door has made me look at my $1400 smoker as a tool instead of a work of art.  This has resulted in me not giving a damn about how it looks and just smoking it instead of looking at it :)

I still take care of the auber however and if rain is in the forecast, I keep the jerky fan on top without the built in filter or turning it on.  I find it makes a nice umbrella for the SI without impeding the smoke flow.

swsweeney

• Scott
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 02:50:21 PM »
Here's what I did for my #2. Rooof is removable and wood is stained then coated with spar urethane. Gettingr eready to build one similar for my #3 I just got. It will have shelf for Auber PID and extra racks.
Scott
Evansville,In.

drains

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 05:11:43 PM »
Good stuff! I just put my maverick in a zip lock bag and cover the control knob with a coffee cup and keep smokin. No problems yet and I've done this a couple of times at least. Rain won't hurt stainless steel. Didn't affect the food either it was great.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 06:51:26 PM »
Hi SW!  Welcome to the club!  That's a great-looking smoke shack!

Now that you're hear, how about adding a first name and town to your signature line?  We like to get to know our new friends!  Might want to do a post in the Introductions section to tell us a little about yourself, too.  Sounds like you're already an experienced SI Pit Master! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »
Construction started on Wednesday and cover won't be complete until the end of next week but visualize an eventual raised deck, cook station and cocktail bar.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 11:34:26 AM »
Nice Dave!

Greg

Limey

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 11:55:53 AM »
That's quite a project, Dave. Time to buy some more smokers to fill it!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

drains

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »
Really nice Dave!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »
Looking good, Dave!  Can't wait to see the finished results!
Tony from NW Arkansas