Author Topic: Before I Try Stupid.....  (Read 2880 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Before I Try Stupid.....
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:08:26 PM »
Anyone ever try artificial sweeteners like Stivia in a rub? I know you won't get carmelization but how about the flavor profile?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

es1025

Re: Before I Try Stupid.....
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »
Nope. I use turbinado sugar instead of brown sugar. Seems to have the same flavor profile as brown sugar.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 08:27:07 PM »
Nope, and not sure I would.  Caramelization is the primary reason for sugar in a rub, not flavor (imo).  Plenty of seasonings to give great flavor, but you'll get "great" bark with sugar.  If you can't have sugar, I'd give the artificial stuff a try, and let us know how it works! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Durangosmoker

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:51 PM »
I can't have sugar, but I know that erythritol carmelizes, because that is what I use on creme brulee.  Also some of the inulin based sweeteners will carmelize, although I'd be a little careful with those because some people (but not all) have <ahem> digestive issues with inulin.  My go-to sweetener is a product called Swerve.  I haven't tried it yet in a rub, but when I do I'll let you kjnow how it turns out.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

paidin

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:20:24 PM »
large amounts of stevia are used in certain countries as a contraceptive.  If your an old man like me with 3 kids already, I guess its fine.  If your a young lad or lass, I would use other sweeteners.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!