Author Topic: Snack Stick Sunday( with pics )  (Read 7462 times)

mcinore

Snack Stick Sunday( with pics )
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:37:16 AM »
So I've been wanting to do some sticks in my#4. Figured I'd try 15# for starters, I know it will hold way more than that but just wanted to do a trial run. Here's a few pics . I made 40in. ropes then folded in half and put them on dowels
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:56:02 AM by mcinore »
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

Barrel99

Re: Snack Stick Sundat ( with pics )
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »
Looks good Mike. Can you tell us more about the ingredients and prep please.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

mcinore

Re: Snack Stick Sunday ( with pics )
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »
Next I set up the smoker. At the bottom of the door I placed a 3/8in. piece of wood, this is so I would leave a gap when closed for air flow. I used a clamp to keep the door closed. Loaded up the smoker let it get to 140 and hold for 2 hours to dry casing.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:56:38 AM by mcinore »
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

mcinore

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »
I use recipes that I get off this site http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/ I've used several with good success.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:56:53 AM by mcinore »
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

mcinore

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
Next added smoke little hickory and some apple. Then brought temp up to 165 and left it alone. I had temp swings of about 10 degs. which I didn't think too bad. Towards the last couple of hours moved temp to 190 till internal temp hit 160. These took about 9 hrs. to get done. Turned out pretty good.
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Snack Stick Sunday( with pics )
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
Nice job Mike,

Couple questions for you:

1. Is there a reason for stretching out the collagen casings? From what I have heard this is usually not recommended.

2. It looks like the bottom of your ropes where pretty close to your heating element. Did the bottoms get done before the tops? and did you have any hot/burnt spots?

3. I am guessing that you left the block in place to keep the door cracked the whole time?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:54:22 AM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »
Those are great looking sticks. I was worried about the lower ends getting burnt when I looked at the set-up. Low heat is what likely prevented it.

Rather than stretching and cutting your casings to equal length prior to stuffing put a piece of tape on your counter at your desired length. With the tape as a guide you can crank out whole lengths quickly and easily trim them the same.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »
When I make mine, I use about 1/3 to 1/2 of a tube of casing which is basically what will fit on my stuffing horn. Then stuff and spin them on a cookie sheet to end up with a spiral until the casing runs out. I'll have to take a picture or a video later this month (last weekend in Feb) as we are going to be making 75 pounds of out of our 250 for the year.

Later we use the tape trick that Brian mentioned and cut them to length. Since my #3 doesn't have the height that you do in the #4 and in order to get all 25lbs into the smoker in one batch, I have to lay my sticks horizontally and then rotate trays a couple of times during the smoke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 11:37:05 AM »
You spin the cookie sheet as you stuff? I wish I would have thought of that a few years ago.
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 11:56:37 AM »
Well, technically one of my kids spins the sheet, one cranks the stuffer, and one regulates the meat going into the casings at the horn. So, this is a three person job.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
I regulate flow and feeding with my left hand and crank with my right. The cookie sheet will be much appreciated by my kids as they are in charge of forming the coils.
- Sigmund Freud

mcinore

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 07:42:26 PM »
Thanks Barrel99, NDKoze and Pork Belly. See If I can answer your questions.
1. Have no reason why I stretch them just have always did it this why. Do you remember why they have said not to do it this way? Very willing to try the other way would save a step.
2. Bottom inch was a dryer but after that all was good. They where actually about 4in. from the heat box and no hot spots that I noticed but this only the second smoke I've done with this smoker. I'm sure the more I do the more familiar I will get with it.
3. Yes the block was there the whole time just my way to keep the air flowing through it. Do my jerky kinda the same way.
I really appreciate everyones advice.
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

mcinore

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 07:46:34 PM »
Just another note about these sticks. I started with 10lbs. ground elk and 5 lbs. ground pork butt. I ended up with 11lbs of sticks.
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »
Nice-looking sticks, Mike!  Seems like a jerky fan would make your life easier, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 07:59:20 PM »
+1

I am very happy that I got my jerky dryer.
Gregg - Fargo, ND