Author Topic: Baby Back Ribs For Dummies  (Read 9388 times)

JDSwan87

Baby Back Ribs For Dummies
« on: January 29, 2015, 09:29:43 PM »
This is a thread for the newbies (such as myself) who have never smoked ribs.  This thread is a compilation of information I gathered from here and chose tocombine it into one convenient thread. I, personally, have only ever done ribs in a crock pot. This is my first try at smoking them, here is the list:

SmokinIt #2 (or whatever your number is!)
SI Rib Rack
Ribs (DUH!)
Mustard (optional)
McCormick Pork Rub ( or a custom homemade rub)
2.5-3 oz of your favorite wood
Heavy Duty Foil

Here goes, cut the whole racks in half because they are too long to fit in the SI-2 whole. Grab your handy dandy mustard bottle and squirt a squiggly line of mustard on each side of the rib chunk. Smear the mustard all over the rib chunk. Take a TEASPOON of the McCormick pork seasoning and rub it all over the rib chunk (half rack) like you really mean it! (The McCormick jar actually calls for 2 tablespoons per pound but I felt that was a little strong) Place the rib chunk in the SI Rib Rack and repeat as necessary. Now you can either wrap the rack and ribs in plastic wrap together and refrigerate or put your ribs on a plate and refrigerate for 12ish hours, you choice.

Meanwhile, take the HD foil and line the bottom of your smoker with it. Make sure to run the foil an inch or two up the left and right sides and poke a hole where the drain hole is in the bottom. Add your wood the smoke box (I chose to foil the bottom of my wood), close the lid and take another piece of HD foil and cover the "roof" on the smoke box (this is just for easier cleanup).

After your ribs are done "curing" (with the rub on), stick them on a shelf in you SI Smoker. Then take a mini loaf pan and fill it partially with water/apple juice/cider/whatever and put it TOUCHING the fire box on the bottom of your smoker.

I chose to not remove the membrane on any of them and didn't have any issues. We put the 2 meaty-est chunks on a separate flat rack on the bottom shelf (bone side down) then the rib rack above it. We noticed no difference from the ones smoked in the rib rack vs the ones layed bone side down.

Close the door, set to 235 and DONT PEEK. After 4.5 hours begin checking your ribs for desired "doneness" on 30 minute intervals.

RESULTS:

This is fresh out of the SI-2 after 4 hours 45 minutes! PERFECT! (I think!)

Just a little bit o sauce. I used Cherry Republic BBQ sauce. Its not overpowering in any way and is a nice change of pace from "the usual" sauce types.

The aftermath!!

My wife LOVED them and ribs aren't her "go-to" BBQ food. Tomorrow I take some in to the guys at work! All smoking was done with an outdoor temp of 28* F.

Everyone: feel free to add any other ideas to this!!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:32:27 PM by JDSwan87 »
Josh=== Michigan/Toledo, Ohio border

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Baby Back Ribs For Dummies
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:44:20 PM »
Just a chuckle, that smoker looks way too new unseasoned!

I'd cook a tad longer before check,  5+ hours.

Did you pull the membrane off those ribs?

Overall looks solid, I need a rub rack myself.

John

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:59:07 PM »
I need a rub rack myself.
Borrow someone you know's first.  I'm not a fan of them.  The juices run out of the top of the ribs via gravity and leave them drier than the other end.  Or at least that has been my experience.  I've got a couple sets that I wish I could sell. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JDSwan87

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:08:12 PM »
Just a chuckle, that smoker looks way too new unseasoned!

I'd cook a tad longer before check,  5+ hours.

Did you pull the membrane off those ribs?

Overall looks solid, I need a rub rack myself.

John
Its only my third smoke...lol... Don't get to use it much as I work 12 hour shifts on afternoons 7 days a week...

Supredave, I hope I don't have that issue as I will be rather disappointed. They smoke tomorrow!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »
Josh, they sell a lot of them so maybe I'm one of the rib dummies of which you speak.  I'll be interested to read your results tomorrow. 

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:25:11 PM »
Guess I should have said rib rack.

I made two spare slabs last week, cut in 1/2.   Had to use two racks to spread them out on the #2.   

1st time I did that, made me wonder what was dripping from upper 1/2 to lower 1/2.   Just a thought.

FYI, all turned out aok.   

I digress, as for original post, you will love the ribs! The recipe looks great and just find time to do them.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:44:42 PM »
I think the rib racks are OK if you are really filling up your smoker and don't have enough space, but I'm a fan of putting them bone side down on multiple trays, with the larger half racks on the lower shelf.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 12:08:14 AM »
Josh I have used the rib racks many many times on the BBQ with no issue whatsoever but have not tried them in the smoker. Do exactly what you said and they should be great. It does look like the membrane was still in in your picture. If you leave it on this time it will be fine. Remember the first time is a test to see whether you need some changes in your approach. Just for fun put a half rack or two on a shelf not the rib rack and see if there is a difference.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

JDSwan87

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 07:12:03 AM »
Josh I have used the rib racks many many times on the BBQ with no issue whatsoever but have not tried them in the smoker. Do exactly what you said and they should be great. It does look like the membrane was still in in your picture. If you leave it on this time it will be fine. Remember the first time is a test to see whether you need some changes in your approach. Just for fun put a half rack or two on a shelf not the rib rack and see if there is a difference.

I will try doing this! I will put my two thickest racks on a flat rack below the rib rack and give her a shot. As for the membrane, I did not remove the membrane as I didn't know it was there, OOPS!! Wish me luck!!

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 10:45:42 AM »
Have fun and enjoy your first smoke. Check ur temp through the smoke hole. I cook at about 230-235. 4.5 hours maybe good for baby backs. Ckeck them, but it might take a bit longer. If they break when u bend them ur good. Good luck.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

JDSwan87

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
Have fun and enjoy your first smoke. Check ur temp through the smoke hole. I cook at about 230-235. 4.5 hours maybe good for baby backs. Ckeck them, but it might take a bit longer. If they break when u bend them ur good. Good luck.
Its actually my 3rd smoke but since I can count how many times I've used it its FAR too few times! Thanks for the tip!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 12:19:38 PM »
I don't usually check until at least 5 hours. But, experimentation will tell you how early you need to check yours. If this is your first rib smoke, you may want to try 4.5 hours.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
I don't usually check until at least 5 hours. But, experimentation will tell you how early you need to check yours. If this is your first rib smoke, you may want to try 4.5 hours.
He said he is going with 235 so that will have a little impact on cook time.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
Usually when using a rib rack, you would put the thicker, fattier, more boney side of the ribs at the top. Yours look like maybe the meatier, thinner side is at the top? I've not had any trouble with dryness when placing the ribs in the rack this way. The fat from the thick end should drip down and keep the rest of the rib moist. I look forward to your results.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:10:03 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JDSwan87

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 06:50:54 PM »
Updated original post to reflect the aftermath...  8)